First PC Build :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Nick

In Runtime
I am (hopefully:p )building a computer in the near future. I want to build a gaming machine that will be "good" for some time into the future. Is it possible to build an awsome gaming machine for under $1000? I deffinetly want to keep $1500 the absolute max for this. I still don't know weather i want to go intel or AMD yet so any help as far as that choice or a general parts list would be greatly appreciated. Also i Have a 120GB and 10GB Hard drives and 4 sticks of RAM (2 are from my old computer).

P.S. Does anybody know if ram "goes bad"? In other words is it OK to take RAM from an old computer and put it into annother(like the one i'm building)

Thanks

First off, you could do a tech-forum search fairly easily and find good gaming machines for under a certain price. See mine in the specs? That ran me about $1200 or $1300 when my processor was pretty new to the market. Now you would want to swap it out for a 3200+ or a 3000+ with a Venice core. The graphics card is still darn good. The motherboard is also good, but DFI just released its Lanparty with AGP and it already had one for PCI-Express. The difference would be to not get an LCD (which costed me a pretty penny) and get a PCI-Express motherboard instead of AGP. Also, a PCI-Express graphics card, probably 6800GT, but wait until the new cards come out now and either get one of those, or watch the prices fall so you can snag the 6800GT cheaper. If you get all that, and not the hard drive or RAM, then you should be around $1000.

How big is your RAM? 512 MB sticks? Is it DDR 400? Is it 184-pin?

1.) just get new hdd's or use your old ones as slave...you're gonna have to wipe everything out when installing on a new mobo
2.) don't use memory from your old computer; they suck ass and will bottleneck your computer

well, it depends how old the memory from you're old computer is, it might be PC133 if its from an old P3 or old Tbird, which makes it incompatible, because all new motherboards use DDR400 or (if intel) DDR2 (various speeds)

there should be a whole bunch of pre-compiled systems lying round on TF like wayniac said, just do a search. it seems like a question involving a build like this is asked every day :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom