first overclock, advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumpy

In Runtime
this is my first overclock ever, just built my new system finally ( details in sig later about to go out for a few hours)

its an amd phenom II X2 555 Black edition ( cores wouldnt unlock, stuck in restart loop when i did unlock to an X4 , but if someone could help with that it would be apprecaited :) )

its on the stock FHS , running stable as of right now at 3.88Ghz i want to hit 4.0 Ghz eventually though.

i just have one question , whats a temperature limit on these chips? as of right now im about 10-15 mins into Prime 95 and its been ruining 39-42 degrees. i plan on ordering a new fhs but if these are fine than i will put the money elsewere.

80646542.jpg

I would say don't go over 70c.
I personally would stay below 65c, that was my rule for when I oc'd my 955.

If your sitting comfy at 3.8 and 41c I'd say keep going. Just watch your temps when you bump that voltage.

okay thanks for the feedback , il see what its like at 4ghz and up

Edit: i just hit 4.1 and bluescreend and rebooted 2 mins in lol so back down to 3.99 and testing it as i type, its at 43-45 degreess with a x19 multiplyer and a 210 busspeed

Have you tried just unlocking one core instead of both? Give it a shot and see... it may be the fourth core that is unstable.

how do you go about that ? i have only been able to figure out how to unlock both never just the one :s

Edit : Thanks for the suggestion trotter, i figured it out :) i went into my bios and set the ACC to manual and it gave me 2nd, 3rd , 4th, 5th and 6th core to enable/ disable so i disabled 5 and 6 and voila i am now running a X4 at 3.99 Ghz :) as for stability , i have no idea i just loaded windows and its ok. Now , off to prime :)

Edit x2 :
Never mind :( it unlocks and runs but cpuz wont pick up the other 2 cores , if someone has a solution to that it would be great, if not then whatever. I backed it off back to a X2 and am as of right now 10 mins into P95 4.03 Ghz at 46 Degrees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom