First OC Attempt.... Successful failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBM/PS1

In Runtime
So i took a shot at overclocking my machine for the first time. I'm planning on buying a new one anyway but i wanted to get a little practice before i start playing with 300$ processors.

Anyway my set-up

Athlon 3500+
A8N-SLI MB
Windows xp pro
1GB ddr3200 Ocz premier
PSU: 535PSU x2 rails @ 18AMP per rail Enermax
6800GT Nvidia

Cooling

2 rear 80MM case fans
1 Side window 80MM
1 Front 120MM
Cpu/Heatsink = stock

I learned very quickly that when overclocking you should right down your numbers for what works and what dosen't. I'll do my best to remember.

Defaults:

Cpu frequency 200mhz
HTT x5
Cpu Multiplier x11 (need to double check this)
Voltage:1.450

Anyway i believe i got the CPU up to 230Mhz and the volate up to 1.525 before i got the black screen of death and beeping and my Pc won't reach bios so i had to remove the batter and change the jumpers. Any suggestions on what i can do from here?

Also i need assistance on overclocking ramming. Yes i've read all the guides but i still don't get it.

Thanks in advance

Another thing that is nice when overclocking is to have a board that will simply disable your overclock rather than reset your values. Thats why i liked my ds3r and 680 boards. If they fail to post due to a bad overclock, it just disables the overclock with the 2nd bios and you can go back in and lower some of your numbers.

I have another similar question. I was flipping through my MB manual to try and find the jumpers and i found the following paragraph

"You do not need to clear the RTC when the system hangs due to overclocking. For system failure due to overclocking, use the C.P.R. feature. Shut down and reboot the system so the bios can automatically reset parameter settings to default values.

I must of shut down and reboot 5 times to get over the black screen of death. Was this feature working as intended or did i push it to far?

Another thing that is nice when overclocking is to have a board that will simply disable your overclock rather than reset your values. Thats why i liked my ds3r and 680 boards. If they fail to post due to a bad overclock, it just disables the overclock with the 2nd bios and you can go back in and lower some of your numbers.

Yes that is nice to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom