First Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoisonPorkchop

Daemon Poster
i know there have been loads of threads about this but am planning my first build. im not really a noob to computers but am a little worried. after all ill be handling expensive equipment and if i break something i wont be able to buy a new one for a long time. what are some tips and tricks you guys have learned over the years.
should i get one of those anti-static armbands?
how am i supposed to handle the cpu?

and a quick hardware question.
i want really good cooling in my case but only want to spend around 75 dollars. (i know im cheap but i have limited funding) how much power am i going to need(athlon 64 3500 abit an8 2-3 hds 2 disc drives lights fans etc
what are some good, quiet fans

Definitely get the anti-static wrist band, better safe than sorry.
Handle the CPU by the edges. Don't put your fingers on the pins.

CPU fan I would recommend Zalman 7700-cu
for case fans the thermaltake thunderblades are nice quiet led fans, if you want louder fans with more power try cooler master or panasonic panaflo.

Power probably about 450W rated, which is equivalent to maybe 550W peak or something like that.

I like to wear latex gloves, like the ones they use in surgery to keep the oils from my skin comeing into contact with the integrated wires, and other parts... Plus they help when putting the cpu in with arctic silver 5 on the chip....

should i get one of those anti-static armbands?
Ya, for only a couple bucks, it'll give you peace of mind knowing that you ar e not gonna fry a chip. Also, on that topic build your computer on a counter, table or tiled floor, just not on carpet.

how am i supposed to handle the cpu?
Gently, but its not gonna crumble in your hand. Your biggest worry about the CPU will be not bending/breaking pins when you put it in its socket (which is hard to do with newer sockets).

what are some good, quiet fans
Go for brand names (Antec, Thermaltake, etc) and look for 21dB for quieter fans.

how much power am i going to need
I agree with dale5605. About 450W should do just fine, unless you set up SLI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom