Finding a Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

r3dS3rialKill3r

Solid State Member
Ok. I was wonder what would be a good processor thats under $100 and over 2 Ghz. The one i have is Pentium 4 1.5 Ghz. I need a new one for the upcoming games but im on a budget. Some games i would like to play would be something like CounterStrike, Americas Armies, Lord of the Rings : Battle for middle Earth, Halo, and HL2. All help appreciated. I was looking at this Processor.

AMD Athlon XP 2600+, 333 MHz FSB, 256KB L2 Cache Processor - OEM

Model# AXDA2600DKV3D
Item # N82E16819103349
Specification
Model: AMD Athlon XP 2600+
Core: Thoroughbred
Operating Frequency: 2.08GHz
FSB: 333MHz
Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/ 256KB
Voltage: 1.65V
Process: 0.13Micron
Socket: Socket A
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+
Packaging: OEM(Processor Only)

P.S. what is Cache?

I would steer away from that processor. I used to have it, and it was good in its time, but its really starting to show its age. If you can afford it, go with one of the Athlon 64 processors. If not, go with no less than an Athlon XP 3200+.

Forgot

I forgot. Will i need a new fan or cooling system? or will it be okay. And will i be able to OC this. If so, how much. Thanks to all

Im on a budget. I got only $120 so im looking for one under $100. if i ned to i will go over a little but i really would like a processor that i can get under $100 to some games.

well then you need to get ur hands on a amd xp-mobile 2400+ or 2500+ with perhaps a copper heatsink with a fan... the mobile processors use less core voltage and power to start with so they produce less heat and the ocing possibilities are endless... ill post a link to both as soon as i can.. (kinda in the middle of a big position paper rite now) lol

Silver is absolutely correct. the 2400+, 2500+, and even 2600+ XP-Mobiles are great overclocking chips. I got mine from 1.8 to 2.7GHz but it wasn't stable. It was stable around 2.4GHz I believe for me and that was with a 220FSB so my RAM was overclocked. Great chip and stays cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom