Few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalOwns

In Runtime
I overclocked my E660 (2.4) up to 2.6 (FSB at 290) at a 1.35 voltage (stock). So if I understand correctly, I just keep increasing the FSB until it becomes unstable. Then if I want to overclock more I have to up the voltage a little and just continue like that right? Up FSB until unstable, up voltage, then continue to up FSB until unstable again, etc, etc.

Then I don't really know what to do with the RAM. Do I even need to overclock the RAM? I'm not really looking for a huge increase performance wise here yet, seeing as how this is the first time I'm doing this.

Also, my mobo and video card temps dropped 3-5 degrees after I oc'd the cpu...why did that happen?

What are your system specs. That happened to me once with my bros comp. The fan stated to run faster when it got hotter. Anyhow make sure you burn it in after it is stable then you go higher. But yea that is the general idea just watch your temps.

I don't really know about increasing FSB (I'm guessing that's the CPU Speed?) The stock voltage is 1.328 because I have an E6600 as well (when you increase your MHz then the Vcore should also increase with it). When you're overclocking, remember to DOWNLOAD Everest and Orthos. If you keep increasing your CPU Speed without checking if it's stable or not then you're dead. Everytime you increase .1 GHz then you're going to have to run Orthos, which is a program that checks to see if your speed is stable or not. Run it for at least 8 hours or more. The more the better. Then if you check it the next morning or something, and all the test passes then increase your speed by .1 GHz. Always do this to check if your system is stable with the CPU Speed you're running at.

I think it says 1.35V in the BIOS, but the voltage is only like 1.31 or so according to CPU-Z and other programs like that.

I do have Everest installed for monitoring temps and I ran orthos last night for almost 11 hours at 2.8GHz and it ran without a problem. Temps are not really a problem right now - about 32-35 or so when I'm browsing the web/listening to music/etc. And when it was running orthos the cpu was around 55-58.

System Specs:
Gigabtye 965P-DS3
Core2Duo E6600 (2.4)
2 Gigs of G.Skill RAM
2x320 RAID 0 HDD
EVGA e-GeForce 7900 GS 256MB
Lite-on DVD burner
Lite-on CD burner/DVD rom
Vista Ultimate

Check your Vcore in the BIOS. Download Everest and RightMark CPU Clock Utility. And your temps seem fine. My temps were about (while running Orthos, surfing the web, and listening to music) were about 48-52C load with stock thermal paste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom