Faster computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

blankcanvas

Baseband Member
Im pretty new to the inner workings of these contraptions, and I was wondering. What would make the most noticable diffrence in a computers performance: adding more memory or a faster processor?

J/w

more memory, a faster procesor would but that means replacing the bulk of your computer. Its not worth it. I suggest upgrading to faster and larger memory.

No, im not saying im upgrading, I dont really need to right now.

I was just asking what would make the a more noticably diffrence, more RAM or a faster processor.

Which one does what exactly?

With the speed of today's processors, you will not notice much of a difference in just a few hundred MHz upgrade. That is why I am going for the Athlon 3200+ which is much cheaper, because the 3400+ wont give me that much of a performance boost over the 3200+. However, with more RAM, your computer will run much faster because it will not have to use the page file as much. Hard drives are slow compared to RAM, and when your PC is using the page file too much, its not fun. Faster RAM will also mean faster performance. Always go with the speed that matches your front side bus, NEVER lower.

beedubaya said:
Always go with the speed that matches your front side bus, NEVER lower.
I'm assuming that with a 800fsb pentium 4, since it's quad-pumped, all you need is 200mhz memory?

blankcanvas said:
Im pretty new to the inner workings of these contraptions, and I was wondering. What would make the most noticable diffrence in a computers performance: adding more memory or a faster processor?

J/w

Well they are both important.. If you have 128mb of RAM and a 3.2ghz processor your system will be slow. If you have 1024mb of RAM and a 533mhz processor your system will be slow... It's best to balance it. If your already past 2.0ghz it's best to get faster RAM. Not so much more of it...

knuckle50 said:
I'm assuming that with a 800fsb pentium 4, since it's quad-pumped, all you need is 200mhz memory?

You probably will want PC3200 400 MHz memory, as most boards will support this. Also, getting CL2 memory is very important and makes the ram much faster, and is worth the extra few bucks. 333 Mhz at CL2 is faster than 400 MHz at CL3, so 400 Mhz CL2 is ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom