fans dimming...or am i crazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaksback

Fully Optimized
I've got 3 lighted fans, AeroCool and Vantec, and I'm not sure if I'm just imagining this or not but the two smaller ones seem dimmer than when I first bought them.....Has any of you noticed that your lighted fans dim with age?

BTW one is plugged directly to Mobo and the other two are connected via molex connectors.

After reading your reply I realized I may have power issues
(please refer to this thread )

This is what I had:

1 120mm very bright lighted new CPU fan (via molex)
3 80mm fans (2 lighted(2 & 4 months old), 1 via mobo, 2 via molex)
1 40mm vid card fan (via molex)
512m RAM
2.4 P4 CPU
2 burners
1 HD

I just had another monitor "crash" w/a monitor error "34k 40hz frequency out of range" so I took out the 120mm monster bright lighted fan and all booted up ok.
I am using a 450W PSU for all this.
Think its too much for it?

Its a Real PC Power, titanium series dual fan, 450 watt

the numbers on the side are from left to right, top to bottom:

dc volts +5v -5v +12v -12v +3.3v +5Vsb
max a. 30A .5A 18A .8A 14A 2A

well, like I explained in my PM, since iremoved the bright 120mm fan that I'd recently installed, I have now more probs w/the blanking out of the monitor. I'm thinking that the vidcard was not getting sufficient power to shoot signal to the monitor. I could be wrong. Also having one of those cold cathodes, i got used to its brightness. Later this evening I'll try unplugging the burners.

just bought a better (i think...) psu w/following specs:

new one: (w/lighted fans w/speed controller) 450W

+5v.........30a
-5v..........0.3a
+12v.......34a
-12v........0.8a
+3.3v......28a
+5Vsb.....2.0a

old one: (real basic, 3 speed fan) 500W

+5v.......30A
-5v........0.5A
+12v.....18A
-12v.......0.8A
+3.3v.....14A
+5Vsb.....2A

Did I get an improvement?

ya know i have to buy new fan cathodes practically on a regular basis.. I have one die like once every other month or so, and it's really irritating.. but i think it has something to do with that little box full of electronics you have to plug the cathodes into (project box is the only name i know for it).. who knows

I think you're crazy, not the fans.

I don't think it's your powersupply, I have a 420watt psu and also have:

8 80mm case fans
1 Vantec tornado
256mb of ram
Athlon M4 1.5ghz

but u have a raidmax... im pretty sure the rails on the raidmax are more solid than the ones he had on his older psu :)

thankyou silv3r, it was my psu cuz now with ALL the fans including that 120mm monster lighted fan runs fast and smooth and have had no more probs with the computer not strarting up or the fans dimming. The prob I was mainly having was the vid card wasn't putting out the right signal strength to the monitor and the monitor would shut itself down.....no probs now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom