Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferris

Banned
Not exactly a case mod or tweaking pc performance but I need some help with new fans.

I don't want to rely on my stock fans from my case because there are only 3, and stock fans from cases aren't always the best.

So I was thinking about getting these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999612

At first I was thinking about getting 5, because I have 5 slots for fans on my case, also I want good airflow, but these have a 55.2 decibel rating. So, I was wondering if anyone had these and would you recommend them because of the performance:sound ratio.

Or could anyone suggest a better setup besides 5 80mm fans.

Also I decided to get those 5 because I want my case as cool as I could get it. 5x84.1 cfm is 420.5 cfm, which is pretty **** good.

Really, it depends on what you can live with. 30db's what I would say the max I like.

If your fans use screws to attatch to the case, than they will be fine, if they use quick fit ones, than they will not fit, as they are 13mm deaper than normal fans.

You will want a fan controller with them btw.

Those fans will spin at 5700 rpm. That is fast for a fan, and I highly recomend a fan bay controler of some sorts. This way you can turn them down and up when needed. I have a fan bay controler, and I dont keep the fans on max speed even when running my pc at max load for extended peroids of time.

In the future I suggest 120mm fans, these give you more air flow at lower speeds, which help with the noise issue. But those are fine fans for what you are looking for.

Yeah, I have a fan bay controller its just a question of what fans or combination of fans to get and the adapters for the controller.

So you say that my setup of 5 fans will be a good choice?

Most fan contolers have the ability of controling four fans, but that isnt a problem, just buy a three pin Y cable. You will then have to hook up two fans on one channel. So if you have two front intake fan, put both on the Y splitter, and you control them at once.

Where are the locations of the five available places for the fans? If they arent all in the same place it might be good to use all of them, but if you want to limit noise, you might not need to have all of them, and still have decent air flow.

I've seen that fan before, and I reccomend not getting it. Just my 2 cents, but it is QUITE loud...go with what AND YOU ARE said, and see if you can get a 120mm

chevytrucknut said:
I've seen that fan before, and I reccomend not getting it. Just my 2 cents, but it is QUITE loud...go with what AND YOU ARE said, and see if you can get a 120mm

Well its hard to install 120mm fans in a case with 80mm fittings (there are adapters, but it will add cost, and there isnt always space). All I suggested is that with those fans (espicaly 5) you will need a fan controler to keep the noise down.

I have a 6 fan controller, I just need the adapters because it requires exposed wires, not just plugs to connect.

Well I have 2 spots for fans in my case, asides from the side panel window fan. 1 120mm, or 2 80mm in the front and 1 120mm or 2 80mm in the back.

So it would be 2+1+2=5, just in case you needed that, heh.

I was thinking, maybe get 2 of those and 3 other 80mm fans. 1 for the front and 1 for the rear and then the others would fill the empty spots

EDIT: Thats what I thought, but I just removed my side fan which is 3 and 1/8 inches, which is like 3.125, which is really **** close to 80mms, and it seems 4 80mm fans can go in the front...

EDIT2: Nevermind, on further inspection it really only has spots for 2, as their are no lower middle spots for screws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom