Fan speeds and component temperatures - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 11-22-2010, 07:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Fan speeds and component temperatures

Hi, im not sure if this is in the right place but here goes

I have been having alot of problems with my PC lately with regards to BSODs and crashes, have returned it to manufacturer at least 3 times, when it finally came back, it was working but then I ran SpeedFan and i was getting some scary results

This post is just to ask if these numbers that I am reporting are typical and are what should be expected

First is fan speed:

This never changes, never increases as I play demanding games or anything, here is what speedfan is telling me:

Fan1: 1050RPM
Fan2: 7137RPM
Fan3: 0RPM
Fan4: 894RPM
Fan5: 860RPM
Fan6: 418RPM

I assume that 1 and 2 are my GPU, 4 and 5 are my front and back fans and 6 is my fan on top - its 6 thats worrying me

It feels like its not chugging any air anywhere, only a slight blow. No matter what settings I alter in the BIOS or SpeedFan nothing changes, its a brand new fan too, should I ask the manufacturer for another one?

Secondly, tempreatures (in celcius)

GPU: 48
Temp1: 37
Temp2: 36
Temp3: -128
Core: 39

Playing a game of starcraft 2 on ultra graphics, no postprocessing:

Temp1: 40
Temp2: 40
Temp3: -128
Core: 41

What worries me is the temperature of the GPU, it might be typical and fairly expected for that kind of performance, but the icon on SpeedFan is a little fire, like its going to explode or something

The fans on the GPU do not scale with the increasing temperature, they always remain static, and one of the fans 'see above' is particulary slow, I put my fingers under both, and one of them has hardly any air movement

The PC is still under warranty, but i dont want to return it if i dont have to, and i dont want to send an email saying the PC is all broken, when its not and its just me being paranoid

The PC is not dusty and 90% of the components were replaced brand new i nthe last few months

Here is my spec:

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275
Motherboard: Cant be bothered to download that program to find it, but if its definately needed I will oblige

Thanks for your time and I hope you can help

P.S. Does having the side case panels off on both side inhibit air movement and hence, increase temperatures?

Old 11-22-2010, 10:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Default Re: Fan speeds and component temperatures

Speedfans wonky with its fAn naming... I like hwmonitor from cpuid CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting
It lists them better.

Not all fans change speed, and mainly the cpu fan and gpu are the 2 that do. I think fan 1 is your cpu btw, and the lzast 3 are the case... with fan 6 being the larger top fan... What case do you have?

Run hwmonitor and see if it will give better names, but your temps all look fine.

Welcome to TF.

Foldie = i7 950@ 4.0Ghz Gigabyte x58a-ud3r EVGA 970 SC Corsair H100 Corsair hx520 3x2gb OCZ Gold Corsair 650D
Woohoo = L5639 @3.1Ghz EVGA SR-2 gtx 260-216 Hyper 212+ Corsair 1050hx 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 Blackhawk Ulra
Alienware 18 - SLI 770M 4700mq 16Gig

Old 11-24-2010, 03:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Fan speeds and component temperatures

thanks for your help and welcome, ill do what you explained above

Anyone else got any thoughts in the meantime?
Closed Thread