Fan setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

gospel

In Runtime
My pc is in a room that stays quite cool in the winter (60F). I overclocked my cpu (AMD athlon w/barton core) from 1.8ghz to 2.31ghz. I also overclocked my video card. During the winter my temps stayed within reasonable limits (cpu under full load stayed around 112F). Now that the room temp is at around 68F my temps have gone to 119F under full load. Basically to this point the only cooling I've used in the Chieftec case is one 80mm in the top back fan slot blowing air out (which brings air in through the front) and a 80mm fan in the side door which blows air straight at the video card. I also have a dual fan 3 speed power supply that is on high.
I know I need to get more fans. My case has slots for 4 80mm fans (two in front and two in back). In the meantime I turned the fan in the back around where it is blowing in rather than taking air out.
When I get more fans what is a good configuration? 1 fan in front blowing in and 2 in back blowing out? Everything blowing in? etc. etc.

Mostly everybody use's the front for intake and the rear for exaust,That way you have a nice stream coming and going,You will want to get rid of as much hot air as possible from your case.

Exactly what Shumway said. That is the ideal air flow for a case. Comming in the front, going over the CPU, and half being throw out the back by the fans and the other half going through the PSU and being thrown out by that. A good thing to have is also two fans on your PSU. An intake and exhaust.

I now have a fan in the front bringing air in and one in the back taking air out (these along with the fan in the side blowing straight on the video card).
Now I wish I could find out what a good operating temp is for my cpu (Athlon XP barton 2800+). I've searched everywhere and all I can find is a maximum temp.

Good operating temp for ANY CPU is 100F or therearound. Anything lower than that is obviously optimal, but usally a 10 degree or so variance above that is acceptable. AMD's run hotter than Intels too. The graphs are basically telling you that anything less than the max temp is ideal. But obviously the lower the better. There is no such thing as too cold of a computer.

Him said:
Good operating temp for ANY CPU is 100F or therearound. Anything lower than that is obviously optimal, but usally a 10 degree or so variance above that is acceptable. AMD's run hotter than Intels too. The graphs are basically telling you that anything less than the max temp is ideal. But obviously the lower the better. There is no such thing as too cold of a computer.

With the extra fan I'm staying around 116F-117F under load. I guess that is not too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom