Fan placement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shafra

In Runtime
Hi All, running an X2 3800 not OC'd with a eVGA 7900GT video card, in a Cooler Master Centurion 5. The case has one front 80mm intake and one 120mm exhaust. Nice case, and temps are pretty cool, but the graphics card heats stuff up pretty bad when I game. It looks like I could mount an intake fan on the side panel (or set to exhaust), would this help out much? Just bought the case, so getting another case isn't an option, just curious to know how much a side 80mm intake could help, and if it will, I'll pick one up :)

You could either get VGA cooling like the Zalman VF900 for the graphic card, which I think will lower temps better than the side intake. If not a 80mm side intake should lower it a little. 80mm case fans are cheap.

For the price it's going to cost you, You might aswell pick up an 80MM. Make sure it pushes a good amount of air though, A crappy fan is just as good as not having one there at all. You could always bust out the drill and start putting 80MM holes wherever you'd like :) Just try and keep it equal, Just as much air going out as coming in so it's more efficient than shoving a bunch of air down your computer's throat.

I hate to sound like a total noob, I've done complete system builds but never installed an after market GPU cooler, would the vf900 be hard to install?

Going to edit and ask this as well. Is there a benefit to hooking case fans directly into the PSU and opposed to using the 3 pin connector and attaching them to the motherboard? Thanks for all the help :)

The VF900 is not hard to install. The instructions should be clear enough to understand. Also connecting a fan to the motherboard, will allow for controlling the fan speed, in the BIOS or by software, if you don't have a fan controller.

Pepsiboy700 said:
Supposivly the AC Accelero is a better cooler.

i dont know about that... it does have more heat pipes, but they dont seem to be arrananged in any particular way :confused: but i cant say for sure. one big diff between the accelero and the vf900 is that the vf900 comes w/ ramsinks and the design allows the fan to blow across them. this is a must if he plans on Voltmod'ing the 7900GT, WHICH I HIGHLY RECOMMEND :D

def get a 80mm side fan blowing in, i had a 120mm side fan blowing out next my 7900GT and when i turned it around the temps droped at least 5*C.

Remember to get some Artic Silver 5 thermal paste if you change heatsinks!

btw, the VF900 was, by far, the easiest hsf i have ever installed. period! you basicly set the hsf down on a desk, fan side down, and put the treaded screws (that are on the hsf) thru the holes on your 7900GT and put the nut on the back. Compared to the stock hsf where you have to line the female holes on the hsf up w/ the holes on the card and screw in from the back, its WAY easier. its basicly idiot proof. (real nice for good thermal paste contact :))

If I recall correctly, installing an aftermarket cooler on your video card voids the warranty. In my opinion gpu fans aren't that great anyway, they're often quite loud for the amount of cooling they provide.

I think you're better off installing an 80mm fan in your side window, because that's what the mounting holes are for. Get a good case fan so you'll have a good case fan + an average gpu fan, that beats just one good gpu fan in my opinion. See for yourself whether using it as an intake or an exhaust fan will work better for your temperatures (not just your videocard). It really depends on your case airflow which is best.

on eVGA products they allow you to upgrade your hsf, i think its called the 'step up program'

and gpu fans are by far quieter and cool far better than the stock hunk of copper-like metal they give you. my temps droped ~25*C when i put my vf900 on and i cant hear the difference betweeen high and low fan speed. (it comes with a variable resistor knob to control the fan speed)

phrantic, u need to get outta the dark ages and voltmod that 7900 and start livin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom