Fan and Cathode cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrax

Daemon Poster
What cables can I use to extend some fan cables and some cold cathode cables? I want to install a fan controller, but none of m fan cables are long enough, and I also want to hide my cold cathode inverter on the controller, but they aren't long enough either. Are there any cables I can buy to splice them?

Ah ok, thanks Shumway. I found that I can get a 3 pin fan extension cable, but I can't find any cold cathode ones, and I don't really want to bother getting one from the US. I think I may just mod my case a little. I have a free 5.25" drive bay, and I might cut some little holes in it and stick the cathode switches in them there, and stich the inverters in the bay. Seeing as I wil have 3 inverters soon, it will probably be a better idea than having them all at the back.

Another couple questions for you though, if you lower the speed of a 120mm led fan with a fan controller, will that also dim the fan? And, if I have x2 blue CCs, and put x2 UV CCs in my case for my soon to be UV sleeved cables, will my cables still glow? Or will the blue light erase the effect of the UV? Or is the UV light quite strong?

Using a fan controller will cause the led's to dim down,How far they will dim is all up to the controller,Some fan controller's will let you turn the fan's off all together or down about half way like my vantec,As for the cathode's there should still be enough power of the uv one's to make all the cable's and that show up fine,Those uv cathode's are pretty strong if you get good one's.

Ok, thanks. I just needed some reassuring. :)

I will be having my UV CCs out of the way, maybe in a 5.25" and 3.5" drive bay. I was hoping that the fans would dim, because I have a giant 120mm blue led fan on the front of my case, and its kinda annoying when I go to bed and leave my PC on with that fan as bright as it is.

One last last question, ;) Is a molex extractor the only thing that can do the job of taking those molex covers off? I hear you can use a sharp object instead. Would a normal sewing pin work?

you can make your fan leds dimmer by adding some resistors. 4 100ohm 1/4 watt resistors should dim them a lot, but you'll still be able to see them. If you dont want to see them at all, then cut the wires leading to them, or wire up a switch for them. Or buy a 120mm fan that has no leds in it.

I only want to dim them. I'll be getting a fan controller later, so that should help.

What are the exact cables that I need to extend the cold cathode cables? I'm talking about the cables that go from the inverter to the switch, not the ones from the inverter to the CCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom