faerghail must have an ownage rig .. you must help .. need it very bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

faerghail

Solid State Member
After being constantly told that the SLI is a waste of money, and also reading a review on what bugs were experieced in SLI mode, I've decided to come through not buying it.

Now I'm stuck trying to find a motherboard, which will run PCI-E graphics. Now am I under misconception here, or are AGP not the future anymore. Will an AGP compatible video slot, sound like a good investment towards the future, or PCI-E ? If I do get a mobo which supports AGP, then what I am looking at? Inferior graphics to the PCI-E's ? If someone could first and foremost clear this up it would be great, as I am finding it really hard to find a mobo with PCI-E for an AMD processor, most likely 939 socket.

My processor of choice is the AMD Anthlon 64 3500, how does this sound ? A good investment towards the future ? I can't afford anything higher, so If you have any other processors around the same price and better, then please say. I've also heard that the AMD anth 64 3400 comes neck to neck with the 3500, now does the dual-channel mem in the 3500 really make up for the loss in the L2 cache? Which one in your opinion would be better, overall.

Now the motherboard I've chosen to look into is the ASUS A8V Deluxe motherboard with PCI-E Graphics. (Again only because of that mindset I have) Is this board good? Is this going to be compatible with my processor ? I have no idea how to overclock and stuff, so that's not a concern for me. I just want a very good computer.

Now for RAM, I have no idea which would be compatible and not? Do brands offer compatiblity or am I just wrong again? Would cheap ram do ? lol ..

Harddrive I;ve heard anything over 120 GB is destined to crash. Is this true at all ? Which brand HD would be good for the motherboard I'm using.

Graphics card again, I'm really up a stump. Here';s what I'm thinking GeForce 6600 GT (or normal) 128 MB and ATI PCI-E x700 256 MB, they are around the same price. So which do you think would give me a great and superior gaming experience? Or are there any others you may suggest. Again, remember I'm low-budgeted on this, so only around that budget.

Case is another issue. Which will be a damn good inexpensive case? Heating is an issue, so I need the case to be super cool. Also do cases come with fans on board ? The Power supply I'm getting is 500v, so will this increase my electricity cost ? If there is insuffiecient cooling, what damage am I looking at ?

Please answer the above questions to your fullest. I'm in much need of help. Thank you for all your time.

Don't bother with SLI, a single 6600GT card will be able to play any game availible right now with max settings, don't be fooled by SLI, the only think it's really good for at the moment is applications like CAD and other monsterous 3D Rendering programs.

Second, AGP is in no way out as of yet. Yes, PCIe has twice the bandwidth of AGP and that may seem great, but once again, don't be fooled. Most games today haven't even fully utilized the bandwidth of AGP, they are still fine cards, and you can ask anyone with a new AGP card and see if they tell a difference between AGP and PCIe. Most will answer no.

For the motherboard, I would once again recommend an MSI Neo2-FIR, it's cheaper than the Asus board and will probably work better as well, Asus is starting to get progressively worse.

Go with a 3200+ or even a 3000+, they both perform about the same as the 3500+, just they're cheaper, that's all. You won't notice any substancial difference.

As far as RAM goes, I'd go with 2*512MB in dual channel. As far as compatibility goes, you'll be looking for DDR400 or PC3200, anything from brands such as Kingston, Corsair or Samsung will probably be really good.

Anything over 120GB is destined to crash is nothing more than a myth, I've never heard of this before, and regardless of size, any hard drive is capable of failing at any point at time, there is no difference. I would buy one from Western Digital as they are considered the most reliable. Your motherboard will support SATA and ATA, so you can buy either and compatibility won't be a problem.

The 6600GT will be better than the x700, stick with it. Again, AGP is fine and is probably better bang for your buck than PCIe.

Any case from Thermaltake, Coolermaster, Silverstone or Antec will work fine. Most cases will include some sort of fan in them, but fans are like 10 bucks anyways so it's not really an issue. As far as insufficent cooling goes, if you aren't overclocking at all, it's not a problem, any company will easily replace your parts, and all CPUs built today will have built in meltdown protection.

I really don't know if it will increase your electricity cost and by how much.

Cracking response man. I have a few concerns though. The AMD Anthlon 64 3500, have a good upperhand on the 3000 and 3200, and I am looking for a future investment, I want this to easy last me at least 5 years without having to get a new rig. Thats the same thing with the PCI-E, isn't there a motherboard which supports both AGP and PCI-E ?! That would be killer ! Anyway, I'm going to look into the motherboard you suggested. But It has no on board music thing, which the A8V had. Sad. The other stuff is pretty clear to me. I'm just having the hardest time deciding on the AGP / PCI-E issue. Thanks for all your help man.

average.png

Obviously the 3500+ is the better proccesor of the three, but the 3000+ and 3200+ aren't very far behind. As far as lasting 5 years, I doubt it'll last you that long, but it depends on what you want to do. Games are out of the question, but simple tasks like internet browsing and word proccessing should work.

No motherboards support both AGP and PCIe, it's either one or the other. But honestly in 5 years, do you really think you plan on using the same motherboard?

The MSI Neo2-FIR does indeed have intergrated audio, so that's not a problem.

Great. Then I'm all for the motherboard of your suggesting. And yes, I do intend on lasting out 5 years comfortably with the computer. Minor upgrades are obviously there, but I don't want to be changing the processor or motherboard.

More opinions are more than welcome.

i would be careful about that chart, it can be misleading because it looks like that test has nothing to do with gaming. But the 3500 is a great choice.

If you plan on being able to upgrade the graphics card I would suggest PCIe, It is not necessary or really being utilized right now, but you want to be able to upgrade it and the graphics are headed in PCIe direction so you wanna be prepared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom