Exploding Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichM499

Daemon Poster
I saw online that some people used P4's and P3's and athlon/duron blahblahblah WITHOUT HSF and with HSF to see which heated up faster, and how they performed without a HSF (as in if one falls off during gameplay)..
They used Q3 and it showed that a P4 will slow down considerably, and try and save itself, while the Athlon will just keep on truckin and eventually smoke and burn out.

My point of the thread is, i saw one video where a duron processor was started without a HSF, and after smoking for a few minutes.... it explodes... is it real?

it depends on the motherboard how the computer will behave if the temperature goes up high enough. the CPU itself doesn't control its speed, its speed is a combination of the CPU's motherboard, and the FSB/HTT. the multiplier cannot change, and the motherboard controls the HTT/FSB

that is an old tomshardware video i know what one you are talkin about but anyways amd cpus dont burn out anymore they have thermal protection too

I daresay a processor wouldn't explode...the silicon would just melt to a point that the processor can no longer operate...an explosion would most likely be a motherboard capacitator, my guess is the silicon gets underneath a capacitator while it melts and overloads it

I've seen this video you speak of. They have a Duron [I think] running at like 3.2ghz or something rediculous like that and they remove the HSF and in a few seconds you hear "POP!" and there is a hole in the motherboard where the cpu was previous to the 'explosion'. I've been looking for that video for a while and still haven't found it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom