Engineering Teacher Claims Mad Overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.

septoid2

Daemon Poster
My comp eng teacher in highschool is a pretty cool guy, he just built his gaming pc and he sometimes likes to overexaggerate things, and for being such a smart guy, I don't think he knows quite alot about computers.

So anyways, he's got a new 939 Opteron, he claims he overclocked it to 6GHZ! Also, he said that he raised his voltage from its stock voltage of 3.3v (I have no way of knowing if this is true, can someone please clarify) to 17v! He also said that within 5 minutes the temperature went up to 88 degrees fahrenheit, so he purchased a water cooling system (For $150) which then brought it down to 12 degrees celcius!

Now... I don't know if hes right, seeing as how he has like 300 million certifications and he onced worked for microsoft, so thats why I'm asking you guys. I really think, personally, that hes lying!

:confused:

Maybe he is saying that he oc-ed his cpu to the equivalence of 6ghz. As for the other statements you listed I have no idea.

I helped my buddy oc his 64 3200+ (2.0ghz stock) to 2.7ghz with stock cooling, which is a 35% increase. If you equate this to what AMD rates their processors, then:
3200 * 0.35 = 1120
1120 + 3200 = 4120
Which may not be as accurate as how AMD rates their processors, but this is the only way I could make sence of what he might have done.

Based on my example he would have had to double the clock speed.
3200 * 1.0 = 3200
3200 + 3200 = 6400
Obvisouly he didnt haev this cpu, but that shows you what he would have had to do.

My buddy's pc, will only allow him to oc it by 1ghz, based on the ram fsb fractions. that is only and equivalence of 4800.

That or maybe he has a dual core and is saying that he got both cores to 3ghz, and is multiplying times 2 to show for both cores. 3.3v on an Opteron is impossible, let alone 17v.

every bit of that sounds like complete BS.

Like lazerman said, the voltage aspect is just impossible...the CPU would die at around 1.8-1.9v MAYBE higher

haha..ha..

I like your teacher. I'd do the same exact thing... tell a bunch of school kids a bunch of blatant lies... smile and say, "I want your 1000 word essay on my desk 1st thing tomorrow morning!" CLASS DISMISSED!

Thats what I thought. When I asked what stock voltage on the opteron was, he replied 3.3v and I'm like :| REALLY? What kinda stock cooler came with it?

"A big hunk of aluminum with a fan on top."

Well that wouldn't even be proper cooling for a normal overclocked computer. I'm gonna have to call a BS on this one.

ask your teacher if his mom sews

then stab him in the face with a soldering iron and say "BOOM! GET HER TO SEW THAT!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom