E6300 Overclocking on 680i

Status
Not open for further replies.

apdrummer

In Runtime
I've read a lot of overclocking guides for the 680i as well as C2D's (I have a E6300 as you can see in sig) but I can't seem to get mine over ~2.77 without the temps going through the roof (even without the side panel on...)! I've re-set the heatsink (Arctic Cooler 7 Pro) about three times now, and I don't know what to do. Temps are getting into low 60c range(max load). voltages:
CPU: 1.45v
FSB: 1.4v
SPP(NB): 1.45v

People have said they've gotten their E6300's to 3+GHz on stock voltages, with temps in 52C max load with my same heatsink according to newegg reviews and I simply cannot replicate that. I have all recommended settings disabled... Help would be greatly appreciated. I've spent a lot of money on this thing.

One of the things I thought about doing is replacing one of the front and one of the back case fans with a more powerful one. would that make a large difference?

i just read recently here that the 680i is a better board for the high end c2d's, because they have higher multipliers.
the ds3 and p5b are (supposedly)better geared towards the budget c2d, as they can handle the high fsb speed needed with the lower multiplier of the e6300.
when you say "max load" are we talking dual instance prime95?
also, maybe dumb question, but when you re-set the hsf, did you put new thermal grease on it?

nagasama is right. the 680i isn't that great for overclocking the e6300 and e6400 because it can't handle the high FSBs they need to be overclocked to high frequencies. the e6600 upwards have higher multipliers which means lower FSBs are required for high clock frequencies. the 680i chipset is rock solid for these higher multiplier processors though.

the 965p chipset is known for being able to reach high FSBs hence is good for the budget C2Ds. the ds3 and P5B models nagasama mentioned are known to be reliable overclockers for a relatively good price.

a lot of the reviews for the 680i boards pre-release pointed out this flaw.....

I see, Thanks. Yes, when I say max load I mean dual instances of prime95. I put new thermal paste on each time I re-set the heatsink. I guess I'm fine with 2.85. This processor is 3.5 times faster than my other old one so I can't complain. My next upgrade will have to be a quad or dual core proc with an unlocked multiplier!

EDIT: 2.85GHz

yeah, but hitting 60* running dual instances is really okay, i think.
you are taxing the cpu (probably) pretty far past what you will ever be doing in everyday usage.
i would try for higher.
or sell my mobo on ebay or something (you wont have a problem getting close to what you paid for it) and getting one of the e6300 friendly boards mentioned above. that way you can overclock that cpu to its full potential. that's just what i would do, tho.
good luck in any event!

^^^lol. I'm going to keep the mobo for its longevity (Intel Quad support) and full SLI. besides, I think its to much work for just a few more megahertz lol. I downloaded the folding thing and even joined the TF team but It said it would take a few months to complete 1 WU so I quit doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom