Dusty Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
TeCk_N said:
I need tp know how to clean up all of the dust inside the case, is there a special way that this can be done, so as to not damage any of the internal componants?

I have a vacume cleaner kit for my PC. However the compress air does help move the dust out of those hard to reach places. Eg. Heat sink.

In order to help you out on your quest to keep your case less dusty, what i can suggest is that you make some air filters, and put them over your case fans that are blowing in. The fome lining from your motherboard box is good from that. Otherwise some Chux Super Wipes.
At the end of day, you need some thing that will allow the air flow, but prevent the dust.
It does not look pretty, but if you do not have a transparent case, then who's going to see it???

I will post up a photo of what I have done on my case fans this week end. (as I am cleaning out my case before summer hits)

lazerman said:
Just use a shopvac and suck away, don't blow it out, that can cause alot of unwanted dust settling everywhere.

HUMONGOUS NO NO!!!

The reason why you would take dust out of a computer (as you all know) is to prevent ESD. Electro Static Discharge.

When you take a household vacuum or a shopvac, you are practically GUARANTEEING that you will cause some type of ESD. There is over 100,000 times the static in a vacuum than the dust in your computer. This is a common and very harmful mistake. If you don't believe me, read ANY A+ manual or certification book.

If you have always cleaned your PC this way, you probably have degraded ESD, which is extremely and often near impossible to notice.

There are Anti-Static vacuums out there. However, those that are not expensive, can not suck air in at all. Ones with sufficient power, they are pretty expensive.

The best way to clean your PC, as stated earlier, is compressed air.

hmm u no those grounding wriststraps? couldnt u get one of those and strap it on the vacuum and ground it on the outside of ur psu?

Gl\l0m!$h said:
hmm u no those grounding wriststraps? couldnt u get one of those and strap it on the vacuum and ground it on the outside of ur psu?
That would be a good idea.... if the vacumme cleaner tube was not plastic.

Well then there is no real solution for removing dust, blowing it just causes it to settle even more.

i have heard (and pleeze correct me if i am wrong) that whenever using that canned air, be sure all power to the computer is disconnected, something having to do with the propellant in the can or the discharging of the air causing a small quantity of moisture....is this true or no?

jaksback said:
i have heard (and pleeze correct me if i am wrong) that whenever using that canned air, be sure all power to the computer is disconnected, something having to do with the propellant in the can or the discharging of the air causing a small quantity of moisture....is this true or no?

If you hold the canned air too long on one spot, there will be moisture or even freezing.

Having the computer off will lessen the damage of this.

If you see a white cloud like moisture on a component, don't freak out, but there is a chance that you have hurt the curcuits in the chip.

me being the extremest in everything i do I am glad to know that I was right and to know what to look out for.....thanx

Blow the dust away from your heat sink and fans and cooling outlets from your power supply. It will indeed settle everywhere else but.... The best way to do this is to unplug your computer and set it down on a table or desk. Blow all the dust away (using the little straw gives you a powerful enough blast to dislodge it from between the grids etc... Once your done, vacuum the place around your computer to clean up the mess.

jaksback said:
of course have the power dissconected. i never have my case open without the power dissconected. yes, the comperssed air will cause moisture also, sometimes lots of it if you hold the can at an angle, and sometimes it will cause frost to form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom