Dusty Case - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 09:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Imperial Space Womble

Default Re: Dusty Case

Quote:
Originally posted by TeCk_N
I need tp know how to clean up all of the dust inside the case, is there a special way that this can be done, so as to not damage any of the internal componants?
I have a vacume cleaner kit for my PC. However the compress air does help move the dust out of those hard to reach places. Eg. Heat sink.

In order to help you out on your quest to keep your case less dusty, what i can suggest is that you make some air filters, and put them over your case fans that are blowing in. The fome lining from your motherboard box is good from that. Otherwise some Chux Super Wipes.
At the end of day, you need some thing that will allow the air flow, but prevent the dust.
It does not look pretty, but if you do not have a transparent case, then who's going to see it???

I will post up a photo of what I have done on my case fans this week end. (as I am cleaning out my case before summer hits)

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!" -- Rob Zombie
Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
Asus N61JV-JX231V - Intel Core i5 3437u (1.9 - 2.4 GHz), 12GB, 640GB, 16" Display, nVidia 325M 1Gb, DVD-RW, Win 10 (64-bit)
Mobile Phone : Samsung Galaxy 5 Note SM-N920IConsole : Play Station 4
Old 09-24-2004, 04:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by lazerman
Just use a shopvac and suck away, don't blow it out, that can cause alot of unwanted dust settling everywhere.
HUMONGOUS NO NO!!!

The reason why you would take dust out of a computer (as you all know) is to prevent ESD. Electro Static Discharge.

When you take a household vacuum or a shopvac, you are practically GUARANTEEING that you will cause some type of ESD. There is over 100,000 times the static in a vacuum than the dust in your computer. This is a common and very harmful mistake. If you don't believe me, read ANY A+ manual or certification book.

If you have always cleaned your PC this way, you probably have degraded ESD, which is extremely and often near impossible to notice.

There are Anti-Static vacuums out there. However, those that are not expensive, can not suck air in at all. Ones with sufficient power, they are pretty expensive.

The best way to clean your PC, as stated earlier, is compressed air.

Old 09-24-2004, 06:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Techie

hmm u no those grounding wriststraps? couldnt u get one of those and strap it on the vacuum and ground it on the outside of ur psu?

<i>Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups</i>
Old 09-24-2004, 09:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Imperial Space Womble

Quote:
Originally posted by Gl\l0m!$h
hmm u no those grounding wriststraps? couldnt u get one of those and strap it on the vacuum and ground it on the outside of ur psu?
That would be a good idea.... if the vacumme cleaner tube was not plastic.

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!" -- Rob Zombie
Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
Asus N61JV-JX231V - Intel Core i5 3437u (1.9 - 2.4 GHz), 12GB, 640GB, 16" Display, nVidia 325M 1Gb, DVD-RW, Win 10 (64-bit)
Mobile Phone : Samsung Galaxy 5 Note SM-N920IConsole : Play Station 4
Old 09-24-2004, 10:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to lazerman Send a message via Yahoo to lazerman

Well then there is no real solution for removing dust, blowing it just causes it to settle even more.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master Techie

i have heard (and pleeze correct me if i am wrong) that whenever using that canned air, be sure all power to the computer is disconnected, something having to do with the propellant in the can or the discharging of the air causing a small quantity of moisture....is this true or no?
Old 09-24-2004, 11:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by jaksback
i have heard (and pleeze correct me if i am wrong) that whenever using that canned air, be sure all power to the computer is disconnected, something having to do with the propellant in the can or the discharging of the air causing a small quantity of moisture....is this true or no?
If you hold the canned air too long on one spot, there will be moisture or even freezing.

Having the computer off will lessen the damage of this.

If you see a white cloud like moisture on a component, don't freak out, but there is a chance that you have hurt the curcuits in the chip.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master Techie

me being the extremest in everything i do I am glad to know that I was right and to know what to look out for.....thanx
Old 09-25-2004, 02:22 AM   #19 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Blow the dust away from your heat sink and fans and cooling outlets from your power supply. It will indeed settle everywhere else but.... The best way to do this is to unplug your computer and set it down on a table or desk. Blow all the dust away (using the little straw gives you a powerful enough blast to dislodge it from between the grids etc... Once your done, vacuum the place around your computer to clean up the mess.

P4 2.8 GHz
2 X 512 MHz PC3200 in dual DDR mode
Intel D865PERL MOBO
integrated 6.1 MAX audio
Logitech duo MX mouse and KB
ATI RADEON 9800 PRO
Old 09-25-2004, 03:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
ID.10T

Send a message via AIM to ohGrFreak Send a message via Yahoo to ohGrFreak

Quote:
Originally posted by jaksback
of course have the power dissconected. i never have my case open without the power dissconected. yes, the comperssed air will cause moisture also, sometimes lots of it if you hold the can at an angle, and sometimes it will cause frost to form.