Dumb Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying-Squirrel

In Runtime
Hey all I built and OCed the rig that is in my sig with help from everyone one these forums. Everything has been going great, but I think I really need 2 gigs of ram instead of 1. I am thinkin i'll get another gig of the cheap value select crap that I already have. My question is will it scru up my OC? Will I have to go through the whole process again or do you guys think I can just plug the 2 new ones in and roll in dual channel with four corsair 512 chips? Thanks, all. :p

If you have oc'd the first gig and install the 2nd value ram your system will run all the memory at the lower settings just as if you had 1 gig of pc3200 and then installed a 2nd gig of pc2700, the memory clock speeds and CS latency would be backward compliant with the pc2700 memory which, if value ram, is going to be 2-3-2-6-T1. That's how your memory timing then default

usually you'll have to downclock a little. It won't completely kill overclocking capabilities, but adding another gig of ram usually makes it harder.

Ryan

bummer. Oh well so you guys are saying that after installing the second gig i will re-overclock and my end OC will be a bit less than it was. Correct? :(

stupid value select ram lol. All i really care about is getting my system OCed to similar to what it is now. Currently I left my ram at a 1:1 ratio and got up to about 240 HTT. You guys think adding the next 2 sticks of the same ram will drop my system OC down to like 230 or 235 HTT?

I am surprised that RAM did 240 in the first place. With 2g's, the chances of that RAM hitting that speed would not be so good. I am not saying it won't, but I would be surprised if it did.

If I were you, I would put the RAM back to stock speeds before putting in the extra stick and then see how far the 2g's will go.

Actually my ram went up to 245. But it was a little unstable so i backed it off to 240. Ya I was thinkin i would put it back to stock, then with the other gig go back up, I just hope i can get 235 =)

what about dividers it does not have to be 1:1 you can lock your ram inand still go higher with the cpu

I have had an issue with my computer though =( for some reason if I set any divider it totally crashes. If I have it set to anything other than 1:1 it doesn't work. I have no idea why because it should work even easier if it is lower. If anyone has any ideas about that please let me know. Thanx

Also if a fix involves flashing something please explain in detail because I don't know anything about flashing stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom