Dual PSU question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AND_YOU_ARE

Fully Optimized
I have two psu's, one 550w which powers everything but the fans, a 400w which powers all the fans and fan bays. My question is should I even out the power load? Put the optical drives and maybe a hard drive or two on the 400w? The second psu i have to power up and down my self. Is this safe for the hard drives and ooptical drives?

Just use the one for all your HD's and cdrom's like normal,And use the one with the switch for only the fan's and other accessory's you have,Running it that way you should have no problem's.

Thats what I have right now, the 550 runs everything except fans. I am just wondering if I am maxing out the 550 with all my hardware.

But why would it be a bad idea to put a hard drive on the 400 psu?

Because they all send electricity back to the mobo, in this case different power, their more likely to cause a problem, something like that

Even without your 400 WATT PS, your nowhere close to maxing out, I run more than that on my 420Watt Thermaltake, except 2 less HD's

DJ-CHRIS said:
Because they all send electricity back to the mobo, in this case different power, their more likely to cause a problem, something like that

If he has them jerry rigged so they both send power to the motherboard yes there could be a BIG problem,The best bet is to just have the extra one just rigged up like a test psu,It wouldn't even have to deal with the motherboard that way,He would just have to remember to turn it on every time he use's the computer.

Should I toss on some hardware the the 'test psu' as i'll call it? The test psu doest not come in contact with the motherboard at all. I decided against trying to rig it up so both power on through one atx connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom