dual psu

Status
Not open for further replies.

crward

In Runtime
i'm wanting to do a dual psu mod on my vapochill. i want to have a 660w psu running my vapochill,mobo + gfx card, and a 550w psu running everything else (dvd rw, cd rw, 80gig + 40 gig hdds).
i've found mods where you trip the 2nd psu so it's always on (1 mod has a on/off switch which looks like the best way). i don't really want to do this as the wife uses the pc and would (no doubt) forget to turn the 2nd psu on, thus would lead to a whole world of pain for me cause she wouldn't be able to use the pc (she struggles as it is).
here's an example of 'shorting/tripping' the 2nd psu
http://www.absoluteinsight.net/21
the main issue is both psu's powering up at the same time..
my question is would it be safe to solder the psu's 'power on' wires of the 2nd psu to the primary psu instead of 'tripping' it?
overclockers.co.uk used to do an adaptor where you pluged a molex from each psu and they power up at the same time, any1 know where i can get 1 of these or even if they still exsist?

Your system would run fine on either of the Power supplies.

Why in the (H)(E)ll do you need two for such little requirements?

I could understand a larger server with 10+ Storage devices and lots of fans or other accessories,maybe phase changing or the use of pelits for cooling, but this is just plain overkill.

My coolermaster stacker case supports using two power supplies and came with an ATX splitter which splits the 20(+4pin) motherboard connection therefore both power supplies are connected to the motherboard so you could seek out a similar cable

The easiest thing to do though IMO is to find some sort of 2 wire switch and solder it to the green wire and any ground wire on the second PSU and then simply attach the switch to the front panel and then remember to hit both power buttons

IMO two power supplies is a bit excessive and not needed, your 650w should be enough for everything and adding a second power supply just creates more wiring mess and complicates everything

If you are that worried then just get one really good PSU.... Like the PCP&C Gigawatt model....

If you can't afford a good high end PSU and have two rather weak ones, he could have one power opticals/fans/lights, and the other power HDDs/and other hardware...... That's what I had to do about half a year ago when I was using the stock PSU my case came with.... So I used two stock ones.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom