Dual Core E5500 temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

parkour

Solid State Member
So, here is the deal. Yesterday I bought Dual Core E5500 and currently it is cooled by Pentium D stock cooler (which is better than the Intel Dual Core cooler, which is much thinner). The idle temps stay within the mid-30s, while the load temps reach 73-74c.

I`d like to ask is it OK to keep the load temps in the mid-70s for 24 hours while testing the OCed CPU with Prime95 (3.3GHz, stock voltage). Quite frankly I don`t have much experience with 45nm CPUs, so I am little concerned. Can it shorten the CPU life time or damage the CPU if kept long enough? I would not like to screw it up. :D

Thank`s in advance...

No, the 70's is WAY TO HOT. Your load temps should be in the 50's at stock speeds and the low 60's if it's overclocked.

A Pentium D cooler was never designed for a dual core cpu, while it may look better I seriously doubt if it will perform better. I recommend using the cooler that came with the cpu. Don't forget to use Thermal Paste, only a little is needed (about the size of a single grain of dried rice).

Newegg.com - Arctic Silver MTX-2.5G Matrix Thixotropic Premium Thermal Compound

Hmm, I just noticed that Intel says that the max temp is 74.1c...What makes to think that ~70c is too hot?

The MAX Temp is 74.1C, that's why ~70C is too hot. Under normal use the cpu should never come near it's Max. Temperature.

For consumers, Intel built sensors into each core. As long as your Distance to TJMax as reported by RealTemp has not counted down to zero and your CPU is not thermal throttling then it is running within the Intel design spec and should live a healthy long life. If an Intel CPU gets too hot, it will automatically slow down to cool and protect itself from damage.

I found this posted by an experienced guy...

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=109332

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom