Dual-core cooler than single?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abstract Hero

Hyper Techie
Why is my new dual-core 4450e cooler than my single-core 3800+ with stock cooler?
Just curious, is it the voltage difference?
The 3800 is 1.4 the 4450 is 1.2.

Lower voltage usually means significantly less heat. Especially a large difference like .2 volts. Since CPU's are so complex they draw huge current and so any small voltage difference affects power consumption and heat output.

The new chip may be based on a smaller process as well, the smaller process chips don't draw as much current and thus produce less heat.

Lower voltage usually means significantly less heat. Especially a large difference like .2 volts. Since CPU's are so complex they draw huge current and so any small voltage difference affects power consumption and heat output.

The new chip may be based on a smaller process as well, the smaller process chips don't draw as much current and thus produce less heat.

Well that explains it like I thought.

Would this lead to overclocking headroom?

Performance.

Some chips are just better overclockers than others. Look at the i7 920 vs the i7 930. Same basic chip, but the 920 will overclock better than the 930.

The 4450e is based on a Brisbane core. It's just a lower power version of the one I used to have. Yours is 45w TDP as opposed to the 65w TDP my 5400+BE used to have.

Having said that. I seriously doubt you'll get anything above 3.3ish GHZ.

Before I gave the chip to my sister I pushed nearly 1.7v through my old Brisbane to see if I could get it above 3.33~ghz, and no dice. That **** thing hit a brick wall head first, and I couldn't get it stable at 3.4ghz no matter what I did to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom