Dual core AMD's due in 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah...but why use the 940?

Well, I guess it's because everyone has already bought 939's, so they get to make mo' money.

If you read i think that's for dual core operatons which are 940. Anyways it's only a pin difference :p

That pin means you gotta use slower ECC Registered RAM though.

Don't think it's meant for normal consumer implications.

EDIT: "In 2005, AMD will introduce dual core processors to the market, starting with servers and workstations and then extending into desktops and mobile PCs"

So yeah eventually it'll go to 939 more than likely. 940 would be purely server based applications. They wouldn't dare make a foolish move as to drop 939 for 940, makes no sense. 940 is strictly server

They said they were developing it for servers and workstations, then move on to desktops and mobiles.

People who buy Skt940 don't use it simply for desktop applications.

Socket 754 right now is mainly used for mobiles or obviously a cheaper alternative to getting socket 939, but especially in the future 754 will be mainly for the mobile scene and skt939 as we know is your typical desktop solution.

Using that logic you can pretty much assume they are developing dual core for servers (Socket 940), then desktops(939) and mobiles(754)

Nubius hit it bang on basically, the 940 was originally, and still is, a socket intended for server usage. Since servers are some of the most demanding machines you can build, and dual cores were initiallu developed for server use, they have only released them on socket 940, for Opteron use and early FX processor use.

Incase you haven't realized, Opterons, especially in a dual core configuration, are still quite expensive and not practical for consumers, so a socket 939 dual core option hasn't been released yet.

However, AMD is planning on using socket 939 for dual cores, which will be released within less than two years according to estimates, and will fully support the Athlon 64 and Athlon 64 FX socket 939 processors.

I'm not sure what the plans are for mobile processors or the mobile Athlon 64s, I would think it would be more logical to migrate them onto socket 939 and completely eliminate socket 754 for good. There aren't very many released now anyways so it's hard to say.

And just for those curious about a dual core motherboard...
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8T_Master2_FAR&class=mb

well gaara, im not sure if im misunderstanidng you or something but all of us in this thread are talking about a single processor with two cores on it, with a single cpu mobo. i apologize if i am not understanding right

Well dual core would indicate one CPU, with two cores, but yeah I see gaara linked a dual socket board.

Like Xteam said they are talking two cores in one CPU, not a board with two CPU's, the board you linked is 'dual socket' not dual core

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom