Dual Channel rams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yexusbeliever

Baseband Member
I am really new to this whole self-building computer. So there is something that I just do not know.

What is dual channel rams? I can see that it is two rams. But can I work using one without the other? Or do I have to have both install in my motherboard to have one or the other working???

Dual channel memory is designed to work together,if you have a motherboard that supports dual channel memory one will not work without the other.

So you are saying that dual channel rams will require a compatibiliy from the motherboard? If it is not compatible meaning that the motherboard specifically has this capability, then it will not work without dual channel compatibility on the motherboard???

Dual channel memory is designed to work together,if you have a motherboard that supports dual channel memory one will not work without the other.
Dude what are you talking about, that's completely incorrect.

Yexus....RAM in itself is not dual channel. The packages only say 'Dual Channel' when it means they have been tested and guaranteed to run in dual channel.

Your motherboard and CPU has to support dual channel RAM, but that DOES NOT mean that when you see packages of RAM that says "Dual Channel" that it wont work in your board. Dual channel is an 'option' not a requirement.

All it means is your motherboard accesses both sticks at the same time rather than using one stick, filling it up, then using up the other. If your board uses DDR1 RAM, then all DDR1 RAM will work in it. Don't be thrown off because RAM says dual channel. Like I said it's only a feature that a motherboard CAN use, not one that it HAS to use

I aplogize for that,I was just stating what I have heard from school peers.Thank you for the clarification.

I figured if anything perhaps I was reading it wrong, but yeah....slap those people and tell them they don't know jack lol

Make sure to note that AMD64-(type of processor) 939-(the type of motherboard socket)/ AMD64 939 has real dual channel ram. Unlike Intel. AMD64 939 have a dual-channel 128Bit memory controller, thats built into the processor itself. Intel does not have this. For Intel dual channel ram, its utilized through the motherboard, just like the FSB. Witch makes it more latent for that reason. Intels dual channel ram is not desirable.

Since AMD64 939's have that special DDR controler, the data is processed faster. Another big differience between Intels arcitecture and AMD's. Is that AMD64 do not have FSB-FrontSide Bus. For all processors, FSB is built into the mobo. Again, thats more the processor has to do with the mobo, then itself. FSB and fake dual channel ram, is really just deficient.

But AMD64 on the other hand, dont have FSB. They have this special channel built into the processor called the HTT. Witch stands for HyperTransport Technology. This is basically the same unit as the FSB, but its built into the processor. Again, this is more desirable then FSB. Instead on data streaming from the mobo to the processor, the data is already at the processor. Not only is it built in the processor, it works alot faster then Intels FSB. Most of Intels FSB work at 800mhz, some new ones work at 1ghz, but these processors are extremely expensive. Other low-end Intels work at 533mhz and 233mhz. Overall, they work at 800mhz. AMD64 754 processors HTT works at 1.6ghz, then AMD64 939 processors work at 2.0ghz This is why AMD64 processors that are 2.2ghz and 2.4ghz can work alot better then Intels 3.4ghz-3.8ghz ect. AMD64 dont need 3.8ghz processors to work fast. They are more about arcitecture i think. Intel just throws these super high operating frequency chips out.

Dont confuse AMD64 HTT with Intels HT. Intels HT is HyperThreading. Overall i like AMD better, because of the way they are built, and perform with it. You never will see a AMD commercial. Intel as Nubius always says are marketing little fu2kZ! All they do is make brands sign special contracts, saying if you sell my product, you cant sell an AMD product. They constantly adverise, its pretty anonnying. You never see AMD doing this. Even Apple.

dual channel memory, operates both at the same time, similar to Raid 0, (if you know what it means) it spreads the information across both sticks in ram, this will increase performance as the system can read and wite to and from both sticks at the same time, the point of wanting two of the same sticks of ram is to ensure compatiability and that it will operate efficiently.

The days of requiring two sticks of ram is gone, (Simm and Rimm) you will only require two sticks of the same speed, size, etc. if you "wish" to run dual-channel, in which placed in the corresponding slots (review your manual) will automatically activate it.

ShadowFalls, i know what im talking about... AMD64 socket 939 chips are made for it.

Codeine said:
ShadowFalls, i know what im talking about... AMD64 socket 939 chips are made for it.

True, they were built with the support for the technology, which is excellent, but remember its not just the Socket 939 that can utilize it, some of the later chipset for the Athlon XP (Socket A) were quite capable as well :)
The performance advantage of the built-in memory controlelr is great, but the flaw behind it, is the flexability for the changing times of technology (Socket 754, for example, failed this test).

by the way, sorry, my context wasn't meant for you :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom