drivers wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effex

In Runtime
i just built this comp for a friend of mine based upon the suggestions i received here. what sucks is, the only thing that came with drivers was the gfx card...wtf?

i can figure out some of the drivers but not all of em...

what im working with:

gigabyte GA-K8VT800M socket 754
athlon 64 3000+
sata WD800JD 80gb
ati radeon 9600 XT
AC'97 onboard sound
winXP

Try looking for your required drivers here: http://driverguide.com/ for 1-stop-downloading.

BUT, if it where me, I would go to the individual device manufacturerÂ’s websites and go to their support and drivers section and get the drivers I need that way (WAY MORE RELIABLE)

thanks for breaking down like that trotter. however, i cant get the links to work

Very true, Seria. The manufactuer is always the best place to acquire drivers, period.

But driverguide is there for when that doesn't work... which is more often that I'd like to admit.

i just went to gigabytes website. it has chipset, audio, LAN, SATA RAID and USB 2.0.

the chipset says that it is a 4in1. does this mean it is audio, LAN, SATA RAID and USB 2.0?

this is probably basic information in which i feel like i already know the answer but i just want to make sure because this is the first time i have had to load up a comp w/out pre-packaged drivers

i was also wondering if there is a certain way i need burn the files to a CD or floppy

lastly, i was wondering if the BIOS drivers is something different than the chipset

lots of ignorance here hehe:confused:

4in1 refers to the VIA chipset, I do believe. These are the main chipsets that 'drive' the board.

The audio, LAN, SATA RAID and USB 2.0 are all seperate drivers, and must be downloaded seperately.

To install a RAID array, you'll have to install the drivers before you install anything else. Do a search on this forum for the steps involved, as I remember a thread about it not very long ago.

i was also wondering if there is a certain way i need burn the files to a CD or floppy

BIOS first, then RAID (see above). Then go with the chipset, LAN, audio, and USB.

lastly, i was wondering if the BIOS drivers is something different than the chipset

Totally different animal. Think of the BIOS as the underlying structure that Windows operates on. Windows moves the data, but BIOS moves the hardware. It also checks all of the hardware at boot-up.

thats alot of help

but when i put the files on disk do i need to burn them or format a CD then copy them over. basically does it have it have a certain format?

i dont need SATA RAID driver if i only have one SATA drive correct?

Just burn them. As long as the CD drive in the new computer can read a burned CD (meaning you didn't salvage it from a dinosaur), you'll be fine.

Once you fire up the comp, go into BIOS and set it to boot from CD. Boot with your Windows disk to install WIndows, then put in the CD with the drivers and install them through Windows.

If you're only running one SATA, then you don't need the RAID drivers. But if you want to have RAID, you gotta do it when you first start, or you have to redo it all over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom