Dont Raise Your Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok.....that guys post....well...not only was it written over a year ago which doesn't seem like THAT long ago but really the hardware was vastly different.

Not only that, it's fairly common knowledge that with super cooling you can go much greater leaps in speed with stock voltage then you of course ever could at normal temps, even water cooling because we are talking minimum single stage phase change.....so basically this guy is going through all this 'research' and trying to make his post seem as if he's stumbled across something crazy (not you him, the poster at phase-change) when it's the simply fact that when supercooled, your computer will go further even on it's stock voltage....with that in mind..the reason raising voltages after a certain point wont help is simply because you've hit the architectural limit of the chip.....it's pretty much a given that you're going to hit the architectural limit of the chip with super cooling long before you need to max it out with voltages.

Take this from someones standpoint who is really n00bish when it comes to this:

OC is unstable, so up your voltage. Common sense would only state that having more voltage would increase the stability of you computer. However, this is one of those exemptions to the rule. It is for people who think more is better, and never think that a happy medium is the way to be. Like I said, I had to find this out through extensive research. It is only common knowledge once you know it. So it is for people who dont have that common knowledge yet. Just to teach people. Yes, maybe he did think he stumbpled onto comething great. It may not be that great, but it is an important thing to know. It may be an insult to you 1337 OCers, for me to tell you this like it is breaking news, but to us n00bs it is a good thing to know. It is not meant for people like you Nubius who knows what they are doing, it is made for people like me who are still learning.

my main point is that even without seeing this article...the thought of hitting the architectural limit when super cooling should be present in your mind if you've done any research and people who do infact super cool their CPUs......with that in mind it's easy to come to the conclusion that "well hey, since it can go 800MHz with its stock voltage right away....chances are I'm going to hit a wall thats limited by other factors besides voltages"

when it comes to super cooling I'm nowhere near a "1337" OC'er....I'm just water...not even chilled water.....after I get a venice I'll be working a little with a pelt to see how far this XP-M will go, but even then that's not super cooled, but like I said it's just the concept of knowing you'd hit the architectural limit of the CPU that pretty much tells you voltage aint going to help there.

And the "give voltage as needed" well that's just OC'ing rule number 1 and is pretty much a given

when it comes to super cooling I'm nowhere near a "1337" OC'er....I'm just water...not even chilled water..... [/B][/QUOTE]

Do you know about chilling water? Is it pretty much just tossing the evaporator into the resevoir and adding some anti-freeze type deal into the water so it dosent freeze solid? Or is there a great deal more to it than that?

it generally does almost involve building a phase change like unit I believe...most people take apart old fridges or AC's to do it, and I believe I've seen people use substances like methanol so it doesn't freeze, but I really haven't looked into this nor know much about it at all because really, I like having my computer portable, and in most cases a chilled water setup is in another box and is impracticle just for everyday use especially if you want to go to LANs.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30787&page=1

theres the chiller gallery...Lots of info about "so you want chill water" kind of threads.

Course you could just toss the heatercore/radiator into a bucket of ice water for quick cooling and benches :p

Course you could just toss the heatercore/radiator into a bucket of ice water for quick cooling and benches
That's exactly what I plan to do for a day or so sometime, I originally had the idea of putting ice in the reservoir but someone suggested that to me and it makes a lot more sense. Just gonna do it for a day or so, just keep running back and forth dumping new ice in a bucket to see how high I can get the core.

yeah, ice in the res would just contaminate your line anyway unless you made ice cubes from distilled water, thatd help as well, but it'd be much easier to just put in the heatercore instead of trying to get ice in the res and dealing with the water level.

I had though of making a small little acrylic incased box...that has barbs on each end...and in the middle of this was a piece of copper tubing....so basically you connect your line up to it and whenever you want, throw ice in this little acrylic box which will cool down the copper pipe and cool the water down as well.....crushed ice would probably work best, but it more than likely wouldn't be as effective as simply putting the heatercore in ice

I was a little more worried about the ice getting small enough to slip through the tubes and jam up my pump or something. I'm hoping to hit a 3.2 or 3.3Ghz range with this little stunt, if I do it in Winter I think I'll be able to pull it off.

Hmm I honestly don't know about those speeds....the only 3.1GHz and up that I've seen have been on mach1 or prometia setups (single stage phase change)

which venice did you get again though? did you go for 3500 or 3200 or what?

3200, as I say a 2.8Ghz should be fine as that should give an FX-55 a good run, ideally 3GHz would be nice for 24/7 but I don't wanna get greedy so I'm setting a realistic goal. :p

With the ice in winter I'd really only be worried about the architechtural limit as I don't think the temperature would pose a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom