Does socket type effect performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well...kinda, but you're kind of grouping a bunch of aspects into one which you cant.

The sockets just determine what CPU you can use up to certain speeds. Now with the case of an AMD64 for example they have Socket 754, Socket 939, and Socket 940 for the AMD64 bit CPU's. Socket 754 can't run Dual Channel RAM, Socket 940 requires registered RAM with ECC, but Socket 939 is the best because it doesn't require registered RAM with ECC and it can run in dual channel.

So sometimes when new technology comes out they have various sockets for somewhat the same chip, but each provides different features.

As far as clock speed goes an AMD64 at 2.2GHz is going to perform the same no matter what socket. This of course also depends on the core of the CPU, amount of L2 Cache and things of this nature seperate the CPU's performance from another not the socket per se.

Good points.. i should of worded my question to ask if2 exact cpus with different sockets will perform the same. anyway thanks

well, the Athlon XP 3200 doesn't perform as well as the Athlon 64 3200+ in socket 754, which in turn doesn't perform as well as the Athlon 64 3200+ in socket 939

sockets make more of a difference in the K8 line, and with the P4's socket 478 and 775, and also when the P3's changed from slot 1 to socket 370

slots/sockets do make a difference in CPU's, even if it's not much

Well yeah apokolipse, but you can't compare Socket A with Socket 754,939,940, completely different CPU's altogether.

I was keeping it to the K8 category as to not confuse things and keep it one area. Standardized slots only have variations in features. K8 from K7 is a completely different generation

Later sockets like socket 939 have more pins on them so therefore there is more overall data throughput so baiscly yes it does make a difference. But then its difficult to compare sockets like socket A and socket 478 because different CPU's run in them. Basicly, the more pins, the more data throughput, therefore higher performance. But it depends on if the cpu utilises the socket or not. The 939 3200+ wouldnt utilise the sockets bandwidth as much as a 939 4000+.

I noted socket A verses socket 754 because there is one CPU which uses both: the Sempron
and the Sempron in socket 754 will perform better most of the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom