Does my 6600 GT justify a CPU ugrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
coolted said:
I would wait till you can afford a new mb, pci express with a sockt-T would be much better use of your $$$, all the new video cards are going pci express anyway.

Nah, and AGP 6600GT and skt 478 is FINE. Thats what I have. You dont need to upgrade, AGP and 478 still has a little time left, actually, probably alot more time left.

As for the PSU, it dosent matter how hard it is crammed in there. As long as the wires arent being piunched and kinked and torn, you are fine. Where it resides is just it's place of being, no effect on performance. If it has to stick out two or three inches, it has to stick out two or three inches, simples as that. As long as it works properly, you could have your PSU sitting outside of your case on your desk if you wanted too.

yea ur set with ur mobo and card. bugs or viruses may be holding u back i dont know play around with settings, but u might have gotten gun lag and stuff that u dont get anymore where the picture just stops it should be much smoother frame reate isnt everything different games will give u different frames

better FPS

I screwed around in the game settings, and although my FPS fluctuates between 39-85, the gameplay has picked up immensely. It is soo sweet to be able to drop people long range, or survive an encounter running into an enemy around a corner! YEAH! Iwonder if there will be a difference once I get the new PSUin?

New case, etc that type of upgrading currently isn't an option. My spouse doesn't share my enthusiasm for gaming and modding the computre, so I gotta make all upgrades as inconspicuous as possible.

Still, I might still go through with the 6800 gt and 3.2 just to max the system out. I already picked up and ANTEC trueblue 480 w supply today, plus a gig of pc3200 Ram so I can get rid of the pc2700 stuff that has been holding me back.

I haven't been able to get the antec to work. from putting the stock PSU back in, I think I just forgot to plug in the floppy and psu fan monitor. OOPS! I'll have to try again tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice.

(P.S. Don't ever buy a Sony if you want to upgrade- it took me 2 hours of cutting and filing to get the ANTEC to fit, and I'm still not done. I'll need to fabricate a bracket to finish off the back where the PSU will stick out. Oh, the things we'll do for a few more FPS, and extra drive.....)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom