does anybody underclock for cooling? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Enterprise SCCM\SCOM

Send a message via ICQ to jseber1982 Send a message via AIM to jseber1982 Send a message via Yahoo to jseber1982
Default does anybody underclock for cooling?

I am just curious, does anybody underclock there pc so that it stays really cool with almost no cooling?

I underclock mine down to about 50% of its default clock,, down to about 1gig. I can turn all of my fans all the way down on low so that all you really hear is the hard drives and the psu fan. Cpu runs at 95*F at max load. I see no difference in bf1942 when i underclock it opposed to running at full screen.

Im sure some ppl will call me nuts, but oh well. Lol i get to sleep at night in a quiet room with the pc on and not have to listen to a jet engine

Old 10-13-2004, 10:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Memberbot

That's interesting. I also imagine that if you're running at a slower speed and things run cooler, then you'll be increasing the life of your components.

Intel E6750...........PSN: ELBATROP
XFX nForce 650i Ultra
Patriot PC2-6400 8GB (4x2GB)
eVGA 9800GT
36GB WD Raptor
120GB SG
1TB SG
Logitech X-530
Samsung SyncMaster 931c
Samsung SyncMaster 750s
Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Old 10-13-2004, 11:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Enterprise SCCM\SCOM

Send a message via ICQ to jseber1982 Send a message via AIM to jseber1982 Send a message via Yahoo to jseber1982

Yah very true... Its just how i am, i make my system fast enough to do what i wanna do. That way it will always be as cool as possible. No point in overclockin a system by like a gig or more,,, just to sit there and play everquest or whatever game ppl play lol. All ya really need to get pretty much all new games to play is a mid range cpu and a nice graphix card. So why oc your system by like 30% or more and have to pay lots of money for cooling n stuff,,, just to run a benchmark a few times. I can see doing it just for the benchmark and then returning it to normal speeds. But i see no point in having a heavily overclocked system, unless you got lots and lots of money.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to AND_YOU_ARE Send a message via Yahoo to AND_YOU_ARE

but do you have your vid oced all the time?

X-Fire: andyouare1
AIM: plantagenet51

Ars Technica

Silent PC Review

Xtreme Systems
Old 10-13-2004, 11:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to aye29 Send a message via Yahoo to aye29

Tom's Hardware did an article recently about tweaking an Athlon XP processor to vary its speed for a varitey of applications. It could be useful foy you jseber1982 since you have an XP 3000. Find the article here.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
But i see no point in having a heavily overclocked system, unless you got lots and lots of money.
lol I don't have lots of money and all and I'm heavily overclocking this CPU. You can see it in my sig. This chip is designed to run probably around 60C in a laptop, so being that I'm keeping it at 33C even though it's overclocked, I'm not destroying the life of the chip at all. Heat destroys the chips, not OC'ing it.

Quote:
Tom's Hardware did an article recently about tweaking an Athlon XP processor to vary its speed for a varitey of applications. It could be useful foy you jseber1982 since you have an XP 3000. Find the article here.
I don't know about a tweak to the chip itself, but I know some motherboard have whats called 'Thermal Throttling" I believe. It basically Overclocks your chip when you need that extra power because it 'senses' the CPU load and adjusts accordingly. Come to find out, it just OC's your chip when the temperatures goes up and it assumes you're using something intensive...which to me seems kind of dangerous, temps going up and it OC's the chip?

If you have a normal desktop chip and you're underclocking it and the temps drop dramatically then yeah you probably are saving lifespan somewhat.

What kind of temps did you have when the CPU is running at normal speed? And what kind of decrease did you get when you halved the speed?
Old 10-14-2004, 10:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Yon
True Techie

Why is it that people complain about their computer when they sleep? "At least I can get to sleep while my computer should be off"
Corsair 1GB XMS2-4300
Antec PlusView 1000AMG Case
Maxtor 160GB SATA Hard Drive
Old 10-14-2004, 11:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Demalii Send a message via AIM to Demalii Send a message via Yahoo to Demalii

rofl.. ^

Yea nubius is right, overclocking doesn't hurt the chip, only the temp and raising the vcore can hurt it.

IMO, I like the fans on, it helps me sleep at night...
Old 10-14-2004, 05:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
XT
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Demalii
rofl.. ^

Yea nubius is right, overclocking doesn't hurt the chip, only the temp and raising the vcore can hurt it.

IMO, I like the fans on, it helps me sleep at night...
or..............

You could turn your computer off
Old 10-15-2004, 12:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Techie

lol my computer isnt that loud being a vaio and all.. but the hsf emits a nice humm that ive grown accustomed too.. cudnt sleep without it lol... its like a lullaby haha jk lol.. but yeah it shouldn't be THAT big of a deal ot just turn off your computer every night lol

Closed Thread