Do my temps seem high?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hapx4.0

In Runtime
My friend said my temps seem high, i just wanted some input

If you can't see in the picture i'll list some of the settings.

Vcore - 1.368v ( i know this is high, i can actually get a stable 4.4 out of it but, i'm just testing things)
Core Speed - 4141.0 MHz
Memory Freq. 1800 MHz
Revision - D0
Stepping - 5

Cooling is from a XSPC Rasa 750 CPU Water Cooling Kit, from Frozencpu. With Push / Pull fan config.
I have reset the water block a few times in the past with AS5, TX-2, and the stuff that came with it. Only difference is the crap that came with it sucks, but the TX-2 & AS5 held the same temps every time.

Ambient Temp --------------------------- 21°
Max Temps after 8 mins of prime on blend - 75° 73° 69° 69°
Delta temps ----------------------------- 54° 52° 48° 48°

Boot temps are - 38° 36° 35° 33° if that helps.

Capture2-1.png

That's about as high as you'd want it to go, but it's not dangerous or anything.

8 minutes isn't long enough to actually judge your temperatures. Run Prime95 for at least an hour.

But my initial impression would be that your probably using to much thermal paste or your radiator fans just aren't moving enough air. With a triple radiator your temps should be a lot cooler, my old i7 920 @ 4.2 GHz ran in the low 70dC range (75dF or 23.8dC ambient) at 100% load with air cooling.

I've tried with a really small amount of TP, like...when i took it off it spread about the size of a dime and it was the same temp as when i do the normal grain of dry rice amount.

Also, it is only a dual 120mm radiator not that it would make a huge difference

And i do have some quiet fans in there, they are not great. but i don't feel ANY heat coming from the top. It's almost 'cool' feeling.

I'm going to try to reapply it, i'll try and post pix of how much, so you can tell me wtf i'm doing wrong hehe

When you pull your block off there should be a thin layer (thin enough to see through) of thermal paste covering the heatspreader. If you see any spots where the paste is to thick to see through then you have to much (you might need to check the heatspreader for flatness) paste applied. I highly recommend throwing the Arctic Silver 5 in the trash. It's never been a good paste for water cooling as it's just to thick. Water cooled CPU's generally never reach the same temps as air cooled CPU's. Which means a thick paste never gets to the viscosity needed to spread as well as it should.

Well i pulled it off and, wow, i have no idea how i put this much on, it's almost embarrassing. I only had some AS5 laying around as my TX is at my friends house. But i did have a **** load on there

I cleaned everything really well with 99% Iso Alc and reapplyed the Artic **** 5 and booted up, now my room temp is 3° hotter and low and behold the temps seemed lower. So i booted up Prime95 for around the same time and it never broke 70°

Hopefully the AS5 sets and i get it a little lower, it should work till i can get my TX-2 back from my buddy.

Some pics of my fail

Fail #1
DSC00087.jpg

Fail #2
DSC00089.jpg

Clean #1
DSC00091.jpg

Clean #2
DSC00092.jpg

Is this to much? Let me know
DSC00094.jpg

I would replace the paste with some TX-2 as soon as possible. You should also look for a couple good Hi-Speed fans and a controller so you can get the maximum flow per acceptable noise level. Running at 4GHz - 4.1GHz I would expect temps in the low 60's. Right now I would advise you to keep the speed to no more than 4.2GHz as it's only going to get hotter in the coming months.

What strikes me is that paste never spread out evenly, at all... I have used AS5 for years now, and have never seen it spread in such a horrible way in my setup, and mine was water cooled till here very recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom