Do I want pos / neg case pressure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ring0

Solid State Member
Hello. I recently got a new case, just a black chassis, nothing special. There are three places for fans, one front (where the "on" button is) one back (where the mobo ports are) and one side. I know that I want the front fan blowing in and the back fan pulling air out, but I do not know about the side fan. It would be blowing directly ontop of my processor fan, and I don't want that. So If i put it to pulling air out of the case, my case would have a negative pressure inside, correct?

I will probably get a PCI slot cooler and a video card that has a fan on top that pulls air out of the case as well.

So... that side fan, should it blow in, or out?

Thanks in advance,

Seth.

Usually, the side fan, is an intake, blowing air in. But I'm not sure, since you said , it will be blowing directly on your processor.

definately side fan intake. You think they positioned it near the CPU by coincidence? Think of the heatsink as a hot piece of metal, and the only way you can cool it down is by blowing air over it. Now give me the logic for 'not wanting to have it as an intake'...

I agree with having the side fan as an intake as long as it sits over the CPU (and CPU heatsink). Since the CPU fan actually blows towards the CPU to cool it, you should have the side fan feed cool, outside air towards the CPU fan.

I have two side fans. The one on side top, in front of the CPU, is an exhaust. The one on side bottom, in front of the graphic card is intake. So you're saying I should reverse this? Also I thought that, having the side fan blowing air on the graphic card, will cool it down, in addition to the front intake.

i say keep the side fan as an intake. have the front as an intake and the rear as an exhaust. it's good to have air from the side fan blowing directly onto the heatsink as the heatsink fan sucks air in not out.

x2. I recently added a fan to the side intake along with the air duct and my cpu temps dropped 5c.

My Arctic Freezer Pro 7 had a diagram once on how my airflow should go for optimal airflow.

it showed the front and side fan as intake, and the PSU and back fans for exhaust. They were saying that that was the best temps for an after market cooler such as it.

side fan blowing in definitely, cools the ram and feeds cooler air to the cpu cooler.

Personally I have 2 intake fans at the front, and exhaust fan at the top and one at the back. I would mod a side fan but i'm too lazy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom