DMA to ATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

davebee123

Baseband Member
I am attempting to breathe life back into my sisters computer. The mobo is a MSI K7T Turbo Ver 3. (No Raid)
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K7T_Turbo_Limited_Edition&class=mb

I want to upgrade from a Duron 750 to a Athlon XP 1600+ and install a 100 or 133 mhz Ultra ATA HD.
From all the research I have done it appears that this board will only accept a DMA HD. I have researched all the bios recoveries on the MSI website and only the 3.1 version even mentions the words "ATA" but I'm not sure it's what I need. I flashed it to Ver 3.5 but still won't recognize an ATA HD. Is there a bios flash to allow an ATA HD to work or will I need a controller card? Does the latest bios update cover all the previous ones too or do I need one specifically for the ATA problem?

Try a 66 or 100 drive, the mobo doesn't support 133,

can you post a link to the drive?

It has to be an Ultra DMA 33/66 or 100 drive.

Well the drive I am trying to install is a Maxtor 541DX 20GB Ultra ATA 100. Just a piece of crap I have laying around that I thought she could get some use out of. So even a controller card is hopeless to get ATA 100 or 133? Thanks

Well, it says it will accept Ultra DMA 100, but you said its not seeing it,

what have you tried doing?

Reformating it?

Seeing it from CMOS setup?

The ATA HD has Win 98 installed on it and was working when it was pulled. I plugged it in and when it boots up it you can see it recognizes it and names it WD....... then it gives me options to start windows normally, safe mode etc. I start normally and the status bar starts loading and it freezes. When I go into the bios setup it doesn't show it. Is it because it is an ATA HD?

You can't simply take a harddrive from another computer, plug it in and expect it to boot.

Im not sure if you can run a repair with 98, but if it had XP on it, I would tell you to run a repair so the BIOS could recongize it, since it wasn't formated and installed on that computer.

Wow I didn't know that. That's what I get for assuming LOL
So what if I load XP on it from the old comp and then run a repair from the new computer? Or better yet can I format it and then install it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom