A direct cpu fan comparison - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-08-2008, 11:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 134
Default Re: A direct cpu fan comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalin90 View Post
wow stock intel cooler would be better then that peice of crap

ya pretty sure your temps are higher then that. that is around average room tempature and w/ a quad you will never get room temp no matter how hard you try
I just took a look at my temp's again and they now average to 21.5, however it is probably a little cooler this morning than last night. Last night they averaged 24 degrees with the new (cheap) fan.

I am getting these readings from two different programs, Core Temp and PC Wizard 2008. Wizard is reading .5 degree cooler than Core Temp.

The temperature in my room right now is 18 degrees celcius, and no I don't live in Antarctica, I actually live in San Diego, it just happens to be cool today, and always keep my house cool, but I don't have any air conditioners running.

I am using an Antec 900 case with stock fans all running on low.

I ran Prime95 for about a half hour last night and the highest the temp got was 42 degrees celcius. However I did not know about a quad mod, so that torture test may be irrelevant, it certainly did not seem to be putting any strain I could see on the PC, as I kept using the internet an iTunes as it was running.

And I don't blame you guys for saying the fan is crap, I would have thought the same thing, but for my needs (no gaming) it seems to work almost as good as the more expensive one I was using. That's why I posted this.
__________________

XDRoX is offline  
Old 05-08-2008, 11:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru
 
aspire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 5,308
Default Re: A direct cpu fan comparison

I just don't see how it is any different from a stock intel cooler...
__________________

__________________
If I help you with something, you think I'm the bomb, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the star under my post.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
aspire is offline  
Old 05-08-2008, 02:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
stalin90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,371
Default Re: A direct cpu fan comparison

the intel cooler has a bigger copper contact surface.

but the coolermaster one looks like it has a better fan on it.
__________________

- INTEL Q6700 @ 3.2 - ASUS P5Q Pro - EVGA 9800GTX - 4GB Patriot Viper @ 1066 -
stalin90 is offline  
Old 05-08-2008, 03:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 134
Default Re: A direct cpu fan comparison

Another difference is that the coolermaster is held in with screws and the stock fan has those plastic press pins. My MB has threaded holes in it so the press pins wouldn't fit, that's why I bought the coolermaster.

And it is very interesting that such a small contact surface is actually working as good as it is. I'm not sure where the cores are located, but you'd think a wider contact surface would be needed especially for 4 cores.
XDRoX is offline  
Old 05-08-2008, 03:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
stalin90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,371
Default Re: A direct cpu fan comparison

why did u buy this crappy cooler master hsf if u already had the zalman one?
__________________

- INTEL Q6700 @ 3.2 - ASUS P5Q Pro - EVGA 9800GTX - 4GB Patriot Viper @ 1066 -
stalin90 is offline  
Old 05-08-2008, 04:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
 
Drizzt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Somewhere inbetween FL and NY
Posts: 3,187
Send a message via AIM to Drizzt
Default Re: A direct cpu fan comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
I just took a look at my temp's again and they now average to 21.5, however it is probably a little cooler this morning than last night. Last night they averaged 24 degrees with the new (cheap) fan.

I am getting these readings from two different programs, Core Temp and PC Wizard 2008. Wizard is reading .5 degree cooler than Core Temp.

The temperature in my room right now is 18 degrees celcius, and no I don't live in Antarctica, I actually live in San Diego, it just happens to be cool today, and always keep my house cool, but I don't have any air conditioners running.

I am using an Antec 900 case with stock fans all running on low.

I ran Prime95 for about a half hour last night and the highest the temp got was 42 degrees celcius. However I did not know about a quad mod, so that torture test may be irrelevant, it certainly did not seem to be putting any strain I could see on the PC, as I kept using the internet an iTunes as it was running.

And I don't blame you guys for saying the fan is crap, I would have thought the same thing, but for my needs (no gaming) it seems to work almost as good as the more expensive one I was using. That's why I posted this.
You need to look at core #1-4, not just CPU Temp...Your Core temps matter not the "cpu temp".

Minimize pc wizard 2008 and you will get a green thing on your desktop displaying all of your temps... it is small and can fit in the corner.

I guarantee you unless you are living at the north pole (30 years ago) your Core temps are not that low with that cooler.
__________________
CPU:Q6600 G0 @ 3.7Ghz (410x9 w/1.475v)
Motherboard:Asus P5E X38
Memory:2x2GB OCZ Reapers DDR2 1066
Graphics Card:GTX460 768MB @ 880/1760/2000
Hard Drive:2x WD Black 1TB
Power Supply:Xion 800W
Case:3DAurora
CPU cooling: H50
GPU cooling: Best Stock Cooling I Have Ever Had
Monitor:24" LG
Drizzt is offline  
Old 05-08-2008, 05:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 134
Default Re: A direct cpu fan comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt5 View Post
You need to look at core #1-4, not just CPU Temp...Your Core temps matter not the "cpu temp".

Minimize pc wizard 2008 and you will get a green thing on your desktop displaying all of your temps... it is small and can fit in the corner.

I guarantee you unless you are living at the north pole (30 years ago) your Core temps are not that low with that cooler.
I am looking at my core temps. I am just averaging them so I don't have to give all four. The actual temps last night were 26, 27, 19, and 24. Averaged that makes 24.
The whole reason I posted this thread was because I was also surprised that I am getting temps like this with this cheap cooler. I would be happy to post a screen shot when I get home from work if you would like to see, but I have no reason to lie. I don't own any stock in coolermaster
Like many of you I am just pleasantly surprised that these cheap fans are better than some of you might think.
XDRoX is offline  
Old 05-08-2008, 05:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 134
Default Re: A direct cpu fan comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalin90 View Post
why did u buy this crappy cooler master hsf if u already had the zalman one?
I am buliding a new PC this weekend and needed the zalman for it. I will be overclocking the new PC so I thought I should use the better fan.
XDRoX is offline  
Old 05-08-2008, 05:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
 
Drizzt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Somewhere inbetween FL and NY
Posts: 3,187
Send a message via AIM to Drizzt
Default Re: A direct cpu fan comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
I am looking at my core temps. I am just averaging them so I don't have to give all four. The actual temps last night were 26, 27, 19, and 24. Averaged that makes 24.
The whole reason I posted this thread was because I was also surprised that I am getting temps like this with this cheap cooler. I would be happy to post a screen shot when I get home from work if you would like to see, but I have no reason to lie. I don't own any stock in coolermaster
Like many of you I am just pleasantly surprised that these cheap fans are better than some of you might think.
How much does a house cost at the north pole then...?
__________________
CPU:Q6600 G0 @ 3.7Ghz (410x9 w/1.475v)
Motherboard:Asus P5E X38
Memory:2x2GB OCZ Reapers DDR2 1066
Graphics Card:GTX460 768MB @ 880/1760/2000
Hard Drive:2x WD Black 1TB
Power Supply:Xion 800W
Case:3DAurora
CPU cooling: H50
GPU cooling: Best Stock Cooling I Have Ever Had
Monitor:24" LG
Drizzt is offline  
Old 05-08-2008, 06:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
Retired.
 
peterhuang913's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 8,076
Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913
Default Re: A direct cpu fan comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire.comptech View Post
I just don't see how it is any different from a stock intel cooler...
The intel stock cooler should have a flatter surface.
__________________

__________________


My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
peterhuang913 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CPU Fan - Socket Types Wetall System Upgrades 3 02-13-2008 04:11 PM
Compaq Presario V2000 CPU Fan mpumas Laptops and Notebooks 3 01-19-2008 07:04 PM
Overclocked 3.2ghz Pentium D processor by 15% EliteScouter Overclocking and Modding 1 12-19-2007 11:52 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.