Did my "Processor burn in" - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 01-11-2006, 06:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Default Did my "Processor burn in"

I've heard the word burn in before where the CPU better fits in with the thermal glue or something to that extent that happens after the first 100 hours or so of usage. My boot temps were always 29C and 31C Idle but now they are 27C at boot and 29C Idle. Did the room temps magically drop or did the Processor "burn in".

<form action=\"http://www.srsyo.org/tfsearch.php\" method=\"get\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"> <input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search TF before you post!\"></form>
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 01-11-2006, 08:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Grinch

Possibly the room temps, possibly the thermal compound has set in completly. But I would say room temps and thermal compound have both contributed to the cooler temps depending on the thermal compound.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

yea, in the winter ive had room temps change and the temp of my comp change +/- 5C during bootup/idle
Intel E8400
Zalman 9500AT
evga 8800gt dual-slot cooler
4gig (2x2gb)g.skill ddr2 1066
gigabyte p43-ds3L
Antec sonata II mid tower
200gb Seagate HDD, 500gb Seagate HDD, 1TB Seagate HDD
Old 01-11-2006, 11:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to Alex81388

Probably more the thermal paste. It just speads itself evenly throughout the CPU die when you've provided the frst ~100hrs of heat.
Sig removed due to foul language. Please read the rules regarding the allowable content of sigs before reposting your COMPLIANT sig.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

if you lived where i live it would have to be the paste :| summer is just warming up. once it fully heats up round here we're gonna be getting higher temps than my average load temps. i would say its the paste anyway.
Visit my website - nitestick.net
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

The paste requires roughly 2 weeks of use before it completely sets. This includes turning the computer on and off daily.
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through me". -John 14:6
Old 01-11-2006, 06:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to burned-ati Send a message via Yahoo to burned-ati

well the same actually happen with mine, ive got abunch of arc silv 5 on my chip and heatsink, and it dropped about 1c after a couple days

Closed Thread