DFI LP LT North Bridge Heatsink installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I didn't. I'm not that skilled in PC building to know how to lap lol. Just getting this heatsink on is a task for me.

@ nagasama,

I'll be doing that on my direct touch xigmatek cooler, so I'll try it on this hs as well.

The LT comes with ceramique and a card to spread it for the north bridge cooler. And i'm not saying that you shouldnt try to go past 400FSB, just letting you know, you might be RMA'ing it if you do :D

Okay I just applied TIM to the heatsink, like Nagasama recommended. And yes, I used the supplied card to spread it. Also I'm using Arctic Cooling's MX-2 TIM. Here's the results:

There should be a light haze like this right? Is this too much or too little TIM?

No I didn't. I'm not that skilled in PC building to know how to lap lol. Just getting this heatsink on is a task for me.

@ nagasama,

I'll be doing that on my direct touch xigmatek cooler, so I'll try it on this hs as well.

ok cool. your application in the pics look good for me. never tried it on a NB, so let me know how it works.
i use a xigmatek s1283, and the method i described seems to works far better than any others i have tried (which is basically all other ways lol).

Ok so I installed the NB and CPU coolers. On my Xigmatek s1283 I put some TIM on the heatsink and spread it really hard like you said, to get it in the grooves. But then on the CPU I did the line method. I guess I could try spreading it around on the CPU but a friend told me to do the line method. And Arctic Silver 5's application instructions. :p I guess if I really don't like my temps I can try the other way.

So CPUs only get hot in the core, whereas NBs get hot all over? Is that why the application of TIM is different?

Well, modern CPU's have the integrated heat spreaders, which in theory is supposed to spread the heat away from the CPU core and over the top of the chip. While other parts of the CPU do generate heat as well, the core is what makes most of the heat and they're usually right in the middle. Now, for single core all you really gotta do is put a dot in the middle and you're good. this would probably work fine for dual core too, but quad core you'd probably want to spread it out a little more. I'd say the line method for duals and quads is more acceptable.

You could spread it out manually but thats really a waste of time, as soon as you put the heatsink down it spreads out.

But for other things like chipsets, memory chips, GPU cores, etc, the actual core is visible. On the north bridge, you look at the core...the part that makes heat. So, you want to make sure all is covered well.

i dont think spreading it out is a waste of time if there are microscopic holes/scratches in your cpu's heatspreader or your hsf (and there are, unless you lapped it really well). which is the purpose of thermal paste...to fill in those areas, it doesnt make the rig cooler all by itslef, it gives better contact. the cpu has a heatsreader for a reason, to move heat away from the core. and it moves it using the ENTIRE heatspreader, not just the center. therefore, it stands to reason (at least by my reasoning and the results i have gotten confirm it) that the paste needs to cover the entire surface to fill in nooks and crannies wherever they may be. ie that way it gets on the corners EVENLY...if you just put a dollop on it in the middle, it is not spread even by the hsf. anyone here tell me that when you have used that method, you pulled your hsf and everything was all nice and neat...lol, no...it was in a big, goopy asymmetrical oval. when i pull mine off, everything is right where i put it. it makes a difference. so being a waste of time i guess is relative :D
another way to look at it is this way...if you only had to have good contact and pull heat from the center of the heatsink, why wouldn't all the high end aftermarket coolers we use have a circular contact base, lol...

Alllright...

My temps suck. At least I think so. At stock speeds I get, Idle: 48 Load: 59 - 61

So, load is 60 degrees. For a Q9550 45nm chip, that's pretty hot @ 2.8Ghz stock speed right? Should I try resetting the heatsink?

Also, on this board, I can only OC it to 400mhz fsb and afterwards, it's unstable. I raise core, vtt, and dram volts and it just wigs out. When I raise my Core volt to around 1.3, the OS corrupts or something. Some startup programs wouldn't work. It's really weird.

So anyone know why my temps might be this high? As far as OCing, I guess I can make another thread.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom