DFI LP LT North Bridge Heatsink installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inserity

Baseband Member
Hey all,

After searching the forums for an answer, I've decided to pose this question to you guys.

On the DFI LP LT X48 board link, the NB heatsink that comes with it, how do most of you apply TIM when you install it? The dot method or the line method?

Thanks in advance for your replys!

- Inserity

Best way on a NorthBridge is neither. Spread it. I only use the dot method on newer CPU's where the core isn't exposed. For everything else spreading generally works more efficiently.

The whole northbridge is making heat, so make sure you have thermal grease spread across the whole thing.

On a CPU, only the center makes heat, where the cores are. So spreading it all over doesn't really make much sense if you think about it.

Ditto. I just replaced the heatsink/fan on my LanParty, and I covered the whole thing with MX-1.

The whole northbridge is making heat, so make sure you have thermal grease spread across the whole thing.

On a CPU, only the center makes heat, where the cores are. So spreading it all over doesn't really make much sense if you think about it.

unless you have a direct touch heatsink....then it is a good idea.

Just as a heads up, careful with that board. Anything past about 400 FSB likes to corrupt the bios. I killed 2 of them trying 440 FSB on a chip that i knew the limits of.

Alright then. It does make sense to spread it. I'll try it and see how it goes.

As far as the fsb, getting a Q9550 to 3.4 would be alright then since the multiplier is 8.5, the fsb would be 400. You're saying anything past 400?

actually, take a hard piece of plastic and spread it really hard on the heatsink, get it into the cracks between HS and copper pipes, then scrape the excess off. then take a small amount and spread it very LIGHTLY and EVENLY over your cpu. i have found this method works best for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom