DDR400 running at 333 speeds???

Status
Not open for further replies.

BColes

In Runtime
my mother board only supports up to DDR333 but i have DDR400 and i have a 800fsb processor. I want to OC but i was wondering what this does with my RAM. Is it being stressed even though it's running slower speeds on the mobo. for example taking my 2.8ghz to 2.9ghz means 200 to 207. Hopefully that's understandable. :p

Well, running the memory past 333MHz shouldn't be a problem at all when overclocking if its rated at DDR400.

What will be stressed is your chipset. If it's the same as AMD, then running RAM and FSB is best at 1:1 ratio. So since your BOARD maxes out at 333MHz, pushing past that might stress your chipset if it's staying in sync with your DDR.

I say just keep the RAM and Cpu 1:1 w/ your board. Dont stress an old board like that cause its just dumb. If you had an Nforce shipset then maybe id say do it.

it's just a cheap lame $50 board i don't care about. if it goes up in smoke i don't care. i only need it to get me by till r530 then it's time for a new system. :)

doesn't support 400. It says it does but with only 2x512. i have 4x512 running at 333 :( . The board is just to get me by for a few months so if i tear it up i won't be upset.

what kind of affect would dropping my CL from 3 to 2.5 have on the RAM along with OCing.

Yes dropping CAS gives you better performance, but it can also give you instability.

Just make sure your other timings are good, it's got right amount of voltage and all sticks like CAS 2.5, and u should be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom