DDR2 Ram for overclocking DDR systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

septoid2

Daemon Poster
I did a search and couldn't find any topics, if anyone knows of any off hand please shut me up fast!!

I'm looking into buying cheap ram thats an effective overclocking RAM. However, I was wondering if I bought DDR2 ram which was designed to run at higher clock speeds, would I be risking alot less by overclocking the RAM, which my mobo would think is PC3200 ram when its really, per say, PC4000 or something?

Judging from your sig you have an AMD system which only runs with DDR memory. DDR2 memory is only currently used by Intel systems. When AMD comes out with it's socket M2 (I think that's what it's called) then they will make the switch to DDR2.

DDR memory has a 184 pin interface while DDR2 memory has 240 pins. So DDR memory will only work with a DDR system and the same is true for DDR2 memory. They are NOT interchangeable. Sorry.

That was a rumour from months which I brought up actually...and AMD denied that rumour a few days after it was published...which I also posted :p

P.P. Mguire said:
Oh im still hearing it thats why i said it. So they ARE going to release an AMD rig w/ DDR2?
That's the word... Should be in 2006 along with M2.

Intel uses DDR2 but still has the northbridge crap, but has near the bandwidth of an AMD64 with regular DDR...so taking into considering DDR2s bigger bandwidth, AMD's memory controller which will be upgraded....I wouldn't be surprised if 9-10gb/sec memory bandwidth will be the norm....good stuff :D

DDR2 still needs to be optimized itself though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom