Damaged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

millsd44

Baseband Member
Can my 9800 Pro be damaged if i do this: I have the normal cooling (no added things to it) and i downloaded ATiTool. I used the option to find the highest memory clock speed and after about 30seconds the screen went completely colorful. It was all psycadelic :eek: i hit the reset button and it was all back to normal. Could this of damaged the card?

i think you came close to damaging it... prolly just caused the card to flicker cuz of heat stress... i think you should take ur speeds back to normal for now.. and get a better heatsink and vga fan first (dont forget the thermal paste)... rememer never to overclocking with stock heatsinks and fans... theyre not built to provide cooling for overclocked components... so just get a new heatsink and vga cooler and then feel free to overclock :)

ok so having that in mind, what would be the best one to get? How does the Thermaltake Giant III compare to the Vantec Iceberq?

if you used the option to auto find the highest setting then yeah theres a better chance that you DIDN"T fry the card because ya gotta assume that (hopefully) they know what they are doing when they make these things and don't put that option there just to fry out a card everytime. Do what Silver says though and get a nice aftermarket HSF for the VGA. I've never gotten one of those before so I can't recommend any to you sry =/

I just got the ICEBERQ 4 on my 9800SE and it works great. I got my card at 365/315 Core/Mem. The Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer will give you GREAT results also. If you did use the auto find highest mem or core you didn't damage it. Heres what I do to get the best results from my card:

1. close all uneeded programs
2. Set the card to default speeds
3. click the "find max core" button
4. Let the program run until a message pops up and says Core ran at ### for # seconds
5. Save this to a new profile with the mem still at default
6. Set the card to default speeds again
7. Click the "find max mem" button
8. Let the program run until a message pops up and says Memory ran at ### for # seconds
9. Save this to a new profile with the core still at default
10. Set the card to default and raise the Core to 5 #'s below the max you found
11. Now raise the Memory to 5 #'s below the max you found
12. Save this to a new profile
13. Restart comp if any artifacts are on your screen
14. Run "scan for Artifacts" for at least 30-45 min.
15. If any artifacts appear, lower the mem and core 5 #'s then repeat steps 14 and 15 until there are no artifacts(errors)

I hope this helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom