Custom laser cut case windows - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Which one is the best money earner?
IT 2 33.33%
Hardware 2 33.33%
Software 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 12:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Custom laser cut case windows

What if there was a company that created custom cut case windows utilizing lasers?
What if the acrylic windows were laser cut as well to fit precisely into the case windows so that the windows would fit flush to the outside of the case and there were no unsightly brads or fasteners holding the acrylic in place?
What if you could get custom fan guards cut right into the sides and top of the case as well?
What if you had hundreds of choices?

Does the idea of being able to get custom laser cut case windows and fan guards appeal to you?
If it does, what would your ultimate window shape be?

Old 10-29-2005, 04:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Hundreds of choices? If it's custom-made, well, it should be unlimited choices!

Laser cut? Well, that sounds pretty expensive...but would be well worth it, if you could have any design you wanted, while being reasonable with the cost!

Ultimate shape though...that's tough...too tough for me. Probably would change from time to time, as in when I get my next case. Actually...that should be pretty soon...hmm!

Old 10-29-2005, 09:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I think this is some kind of market research spam. But no I wouldn't consider it.

\'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you **** well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.\'

Old 10-29-2005, 09:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

As a window on the side of the case, I don't really like it, as I like to see the 'bare circuits' (yeah, I watched futurama today ) But I think it would look cool on the top/front of the case. But anyway, it is too expensive, and in my eyes not worth it. It would probally cost the same as a AMD X2 4400 or something like that.

Cisco CCNA, Comptia A+, 1/3 through CCNP
Old 10-29-2005, 09:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to PZEROFGH

if i had the money i would get one but ill just stick with my plain side panel lol
Old 10-29-2005, 10:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

If this is a market research attempt, I'll tell you one thing. Don't bother with this idea man. The customer base is not large enough. Sure, there might be a "few" enthusiasts who might buy stuff, but it wouldn't be enough for u to sustain a business. Unless of course, u are planning on using the lasers in other markets as well.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Just out of curiosity, can you make those side panels using CAD and CAM, and then using one of those machines that fires high powered water to cut metal/using one of those drill things controlled by CAD/CAM? On SECC steel?

(Its growing on me, but most of us here spend all our money on the actual hardware incl. me.)

Cisco CCNA, Comptia A+, 1/3 through CCNP
Old 10-29-2005, 12:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
ust out of curiosity, can you make those side panels using CAD and CAM, and then using one of those machines that fires high powered water to cut metal/using one of those drill things controlled by CAD/CAM? On SECC steel?
Actually, yes you can.

We have one of those (water-jet cutter) at work. We use it to cut out countertops from slabs of granite. It can cut through up to 4" (100mm) steel. The one that is on West Coast Choppers that they use to cut out custom rims was the next one bought after my bos bought his.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 10-29-2005, 04:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Yea I heard about those water-cutters. It's hard to believe that water can cut though steel like that. But I would rather take that money and buy a better CPU or one of those PhysX cards coming out.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Trotter
Actually, yes you can.

We have one of those (water-jet cutter) at work. We use it to cut out countertops from slabs of granite. It can cut through up to 4" (100mm) steel. The one that is on West Coast Choppers that they use to cut out custom rims was the next one bought after my bos bought his.
True, but my research has shown that the cost of production is considerably less for a laser in this case than a water jet machine.

Closed Thread