Custom built laptop cooling stand - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Techie
Send a message via AIM to NightSurge
Default Custom built laptop cooling stand

I have 2 spare 120mm 1300RPM fans (non-LED) that I think would be perfect for use in making my own little laptop cooling stand. My friend has an HP laptop that has gaming peripherals, but it always overheats when gaming, so I figured I would put my extra goodies to good use, and give myself some experience with a custom little project like this.

What kind of parts and things will I need? I would prefer to be able to run the fans off of the laptop battery via a USP port.

I'm thinking I will need a casing material of some sort, a switch, a USB male cable, some wire, and anything I'd need to cut/mount/seal the casing and fans. I looked online and saw a vague step-by-step but it asked me to join to view the more detailed process. Any suggestions on the type of switch I would need, the material I should use, how I would wire it, etc would be helpful!

If I was helpful, please click the icon on the left hand side of this message that looks like a check mark Thanks!

Old 03-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Grinch
Default Re: Custom built laptop cooling stand

IMO, get some thin wood, make a box with vents on the sides, have the fans in the center, cut holes for them to blow through, buy some good fan grills, and use a 12v AC/DC converter for it instead of the USB ports... Be a bit more of a permenant solution as making a nice one would be a bit difficult... I have considered making one using 100CFM 120mm fans, I just dont have the time honestly...

Old 03-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Don't forget USB only supplies 5v power.
If I help you with something, you think I'm the bomb, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the star under my post.

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 03-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Grinch

That is why I said he should use an alternate powersource... :-p
Old 03-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to CrazeD Send a message via MSN to CrazeD

Originally Posted by aspire.comptech View Post
Don't forget USB only supplies 5v power.
But use two and you get 10v.

Intel Q9400 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3P | G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 1000 | XFX HD5870

Need website help? PM me!
Closed Thread