Custom Backlighting my keyboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

overlord20

Fully Optimized
I know there is a way to do this but i have not been to successful in my searches around the internet. I have a key on my keyboard that makes the computer sleep. I want to re map that key to turn on various small led light i place throughout my keyboard behind the keys. Can someone please tell me how to do this?

Thanks,
Steven

Sorry I can't give any info on that but if you're really want a backlight keyboard, the Saitek Eclipse II is very nice.

I've had one for a while now and love it. You can switch colors from either blue, red or purple and adjust the brightness level. I think I paid less than $50 for it.

yea I've seen that one. I've also looked at the Saitek cyborg and the Logitech G11 and G15 and a couple others by Microsoft and Razer. but I just wanna get some experience and be able to say I can do this myself ya know?

Okay this is what Ive decided i want to do. I want to paint my keyboard with UV PAINT and use one or two small UV LED's on either side of my keyboard and middle. Using the Sleep button as a on off switch. if someone could give me a link on how to do this or write me some instructions it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!! i have all the stuff i need i just dont know how to do it... is there a spot on the keyboard chip that i can solder the ground and hots too?

the problem you're gonna run into is paint on plastic. Even plastic paint isn't very good. and with all the vertical angles and slopes its gonna run and will probably turn out splotchy. What I would recommend is trying to get some LED's like out of some fans, and wind it around in the keyboard, and then make a solder point and just make it a simple circuit and have the sleep button be the connector. So when you hit the sleep button it completes the circuit, giving the LED's power and then shining, and then when you hit the button again it shuts the LED's off.

i was just going to take the top off and spray it lightly with the aerosol uv paint sold at xoxide.com. lol i am a total newb with circuits so a simple circuit for me isn't lol. and this way it wont put my computer to sleep?

well first things first you have to figure out it the button is part of the actual keyboard plastic stuff and it is just a piece of plastic transferring the button to the rubbery stuff. If it is I highly doubt you can use that for leds. If anything i would go to radioshack and pick up the leds that you want, some resistors, soldering Iron, wire. The basics. Then find the power wires coming in from the USB wire and solder the circuit to the wires. So when you plug your keyboard in they light up. Sure you can't turn them off unless you unplug it, but that would seem to be the easiest way. On the circuit part i am clueless. Hit up Instructables.com and there are plenty of tutorials on how to do so.

I've decided I'm going to wire a small switch into the hot and ground of the usb wire and then wire the led's to the switch and then place my led lights through our the keyboard to light up the aerosol uv paint that i will spray on my keys.

i have all my needed tools and supplies. 2 resistors per LED right? I have a basic switch that will turn it on and off and i just connect the hots to one termal and the grounds to the other correct? 2 hots and ground will go to the led lights and then 1 hot and ground will go to the keyboards usb cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom