Crazy idea, or no???

Status
Not open for further replies.

g2k556

In Runtime
Well, this seems like a crazy idea, but it might be plausible. I was wondering what you guys would think about building a computer inside a freezer? I was thinkin' about this summer buying a used freezer, just one of those small ones, like maybe 5 cubic feet give or take. It'll probably be quite the project to get it to seal and everything, but I was wondering if anyone has heard of someone attempting this or not, and if you think it'll work?

just to be sure here, your not actually going to turn on the freezer right...:D, just using it as a big case?

yea, that's what i figured. I didn't think about condensation, that would be an issue. another idea i had was having a tub of water in the freezer and using it as a kind of water cooling. i would run hoses in and out of the freezer then into my computer and attach it like a traditional water cooling system. i'm not sure how efficient it would work though.

the hassle involved may make you feel it isnt worth it, plus reliability can be an issue - if it is an old freezer, then chances are if it is pushed under load whenever the pc is on, it wont last you very long.

the main problem really would be tiny droplets of water accumulating in the hardware, little gaps in the mobo, in the GPU. between RAM etc. When it freezes it would likely expand and crack pieces of hardware, a fridge sounds possible but a freezer is very risky. Maybe buy a cheap second hand mini bar?

Stop even thinking about it.

The biggest issue at hand is that a mini freezer, mini fridge, mini bar, all will not be able to continuously keep the components cool.

All the other issues regarding condensation and the such can and have been tackled. However the fact of the matter is that a fridge or freezer uses a method similar to a phase change unit to keep it inside temperature constant.

They are designed to remove the heat from food/whatever and then sustain that temperature. For the unit to constantly remove heat the compression would need to run 24/7 and thus an appliance that might run normally for 10 years might only last a couple weeks.

It just doesn't have the capacity to deal with a constant 300 watts of heat dump that come from a common system these days.

Do a search for this and you will probably pull up half a dozen threads.

You would do better running a watercooling loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom