cpu swapping

Status
Not open for further replies.
DJ-CHRIS said:
Well you will be CPU bottlenecked with one of those "better cards"

What 128mb card do you have now ?

BFG nVIDIA GeForce 6800 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-Bit, TV-Out/DVI, 8X AGP, Model "BFGR6800OC

I have the same card but the 256MB version, I got it at Bestbuy for 400 425 with taxes. You have a 533MHz FSB (133MHz gets multiplied by 4). that means you can't get anything over 2.8GHz without getting a new motherboard, in my opinion get the new motherboard and cpu. But by now theres nothing Dell about your computer except for the case and power suply, Did you upgrade your powersuply? I think dell's have a low wattage or voltage suply that only work with Dell motherboards, the case too. If you have the Dell suply and the 6800 then I'd say thats a bad mix, the 6800 needs a 400 Watt suply minimum.

The new CPU and Motherboard could cost you anywhere from 200$-God knows-how-much$, depends on what you want. I think a socket 478 800MHz FSB 3.0GHz Prescott P4 is around 180$ and a decent motherbard from 60-150$ I suggest looking on www.newegg.com for what you want and compare prices on www.pricegrabber.com

Musjunk22 said:
I have the same card but the 256MB version, I got it at Bestbuy for 400 425 with taxes. You have a 533MHz FSB (133MHz gets multiplied by 4). that means you can't get anything over 2.8GHz without getting a new motherboard, in my opinion get the new motherboard and cpu. But by now theres nothing Dell about your computer except for the case and power suply, Did you upgrade your powersuply? I think dell's have a low wattage or voltage suply that only work with Dell motherboards, the case too. If you have the Dell suply and the 6800 then I'd say thats a bad mix, the 6800 needs a 400 Watt suply minimum.

The new CPU and Motherboard could cost you anywhere from 200$-God knows-how-much$, depends on what you want. I think a socket 478 800MHz FSB 3.0GHz Prescott P4 is around 180$ and a decent motherbard from 60-150$ I suggest looking on www.newegg.com for what you want and compare prices on www.pricegrabber.com

Uhh actually your quite right about the very little being dell part. The case, original 2 sticks of ram (128's) and the motherboard/processor are still dell. I upgraded the power supply, it was either a 450 or 500, I can't remember off the top of my head

I've looked into getting into a new motherboard, however (and I'm not completely illiterate on computers) I thought i was overstepping my bounds. The problem is the variables that scare me, aka will all my components still work and will all of this still go inside the case haha. Actually, come to think about it since it won't be a dell anymore I should get a better case for cooling.

My question to you now is: Since I am now going to purchase a new motherboard to upgrade my proccessor speed, what should I be looking for in a motherboard if my goal was a 3.4? And also, what about cooling, I really don't want to get into the hassle of liquid cooling, mostly because of cost, so can I get by with fans and all that good jaz?

Well since your a gamer it would be best to go the AMD route, something like a MSI K8N Neo 2 and a AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (whinchester core)

Will outpeform that 3.4ghz Intel in most games, and if you get retail it comes with a good heatsink, also runs much cooler than intel chips.

Also, yeah you need to replace case and PS on that dell PC, since they are propertiary and wont fit new PC's

DJ-CHRIS said:
Well since your a gamer it would be best to go the AMD route, something like a MSI K8N Neo 2 and a AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (whinchester core)

Will outpeform that 3.4ghz Intel in most games, and if you get retail it comes with a good heatsink, also runs much cooler than intel chips.

Also, yeah you need to replace case and PS on that dell PC, since they are propertiary and wont fit new PC's

Ok, so I don't mind going this route, but how can I tell if all my stuff will work (Ram, vid card, sound card, ethernet card, etc.) with the new AMD motherboard, and also, matching up board with cpu, what needs to be the same? (AKA socket or whatever)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom