CPU running too hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fairly new to aftermarket CPU cooling, how would someone go about putting fans on that? :confused:

Most aftermarket HSs come with their own fans, though it'll say in the heatsink's manual what size fan (80mm, 120mm, 140mm) it takes, and how many. Sometimes you don't even need to use a fan on the heatsink (I don't on mine), if your case's airflow is good enough.
The heatsink will also usually come packaged with little brackets to attach fans, though if you really need to, you can tie the fan(s) on which zip ties (not a perfect solution though).

Thanks, Yami. I'll look more into it.

So basically I need a Heatsink that will work with an LGA1156 Socket type. Or are there brackets I can use that will let me use any aftermarket Heat sink with the LGA1156 Socket?

Any heatsink you buy will either come with a fan "pre-attached" or with fan clips to hold it on. Most heatsinks come with a user manual that will explain the installation (some manuals are better than others). And you can often download the manual from the Manufacturer before you even buy the heatsink.

There is NO one retention bracket that will work with every heatsink. Most of the Heatsinks available were designed prior to the i5 and i7 series of cpu's so sometimes you have to buy the Heatsink and Retention Bracket separately while some Manufacturers have already updated there products to include the correct bracket.

This is a good heatsink that has the bracket included as well as the fans. It's large but not the largest and most of the newest designs for todays hotter running cpu's are just as big.
Newegg.com - Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO CPU Cooler

Here's a link to the Manufacturers Product page, there's a download to the manual and more info :thumbsup:
Noctua.at - sound-optimised premium components "Designed in Austria"!

@Yami: That's what I thought :silly:

@Slaymate: That looks like it will work perfectly. Granted I'll buy new Green LED fans to spice up the greeness of the case :thumbsup:

Mike

Well I went out and got a Thermal Take Black Widow cooler. Temps at idle are around 33C now :)

Before:
dscf0072e.jpg

After:
dscf0073v.jpg

dscf0075vw.jpg

I've tried a few squirrel cage coolers before, they do look COOL. And they usually perform better than the stock cooler, but if you try overclocking you'll wish you had bought the Noctua as they just don't handle the heat that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom