CPU Running at high temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundertiger

Baseband Member
I dont know what is going on, but recently in the last few weeks my CPU runs at between 70-80 oC and my GPU runs at about 50 - 60 oC ...

my PC automaticaly shuts down at 85oC which has happened only once ...

I cleaned out the pc with compressed air and took the heatsink off and blasted that aswell ... reapplied some new thermal paste but no success ...

My System specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Clawhammer
2Gb Corsair RAM
MoBo: ABIT AV8
GFX: WinFast A400 Ultra (chipset GeForce 6800 Ultra)

abiteqcopyio3.jpg

ocguruck3.jpg

cpuzzh6.jpg

nvidiahr8.jpg

Hmmm thats most strange seeing as you have cleaned everything and blasted it with compressed air............... im not really sure why thats happening but you could buy a freezer pro heatsink/fan or zalman, get one of those on there and that will bring the temp down alot.
Also make sure you have at least 2 case fans, things can get very warm very quickly if a case isnt well ventilated especially if said case is small

EDIT, your GPU is fine

hey your vcore is a bit too high mines set to arond 1.3v so just lower it and see if it is stable for that amd if not bring it back to 1.4v if not then put it back to that original 1.5v

The case is an iCute Jet Turbine. It has a 14cm case fan at the front, standard size neon fan on the side and a 12cm (i think) fan at the back - Front draws air in and back blows it out ...

theres about 10cm air space the the left (clear side) of the case ...

Strangest thing is - It was around 70oC idle - Now i am playing need for speed carbon online and my cpu temp now reads 50 oC ????

When i leave the computer idle - it rises to 70 oC again

EDIT: Just looked at my overclock settings - i cant set the voltage lower than 1.5v

advancedgeek said:
hey your vcore is a bit too high mines set to arond 1.3v so just lower it and see if it is stable for that amd if not bring it back to 1.4v if not then put it back to that original 1.5v

Older processors required more voltage back then. Since you have a Core 2 Duo, 1.3v is ok because C2Ds are more power efficient than older processors. 1.3v will be too less for the 3500+, I believe. I could be wrong.

Hey thundertiger,
Look in your BIOS for the temperature reading, and see if it matches with what that program is reporting, because the most accurate temperature reading would be in the BIOS. I'm guessing a temperature sensor is faulty in the motherboard, because all your other temperature readings, such as the GPU and SYS are fine.

yeah i say faulty sensor. at 80*C you will have some noticable problems. touch the heatpipes on your hsf (close to where it contacts your cpu)...did it burn you? if no, it's probably not 80*C.
1.5V is not too high for a 3500, with an overclock. but, with the bus speed that you have set of 205, you should definitely be able to run that at stock 1.4V.
if you are going to leave it running that speed, drop the voltage down to 1.4V. it will make a pretty bug difference in temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom