CPU Lapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

D4RK GR4YL3N

In Runtime
I just finished lapping my heatsink, but the temp differences were much less than I was hoping for. Is it possible to easily lap the actual processor without damaging it? And will I see much performance increase?

what is lapping exactly, is it something like making the Heatsink base perfectly flat to remove and imperfections?

yes raekwon....just did it to my SLK-900A today actually :D You start with a somewhat coarse grit of sand paper depending on how bad the current heatsink base already is....then you steadily sand it on a piece of glass so its perfectly flat and to that for about 5-10 mins per grit of sandpaper and then move up to the next grit until you hit 2000..... at www.easypckits.com he has a premium kit with the glass 10,000 grit polish and micron sandpapers. Real nice guy runs the site too. I've never lapped the actual CPU core and I don't think I'll be trying that....the idea just scares me.

ok, thanks heaps that will be a good idea for when i do my build i think, depending on how good the surface of the Heatsink is of course :)

wow! this site is great! my brother might like some of the stuff for his tools, he does wood working stuff, and is really really good at it, i think i posted the speaker boxes he made here a while ago... thanks again nubius!!

yeah no problem. His site might not look fancy but he has good prices, he gives you a personal e-mail not automated...he was a real nice guy and usually sends a little gesture of 'thanks' for buying from him like some zipties or something of that sort....not guaranteeing but he gave me some zipties..he forgot to send me the 1500 grit and I asked him about it and he just sent me a whole new premium kit with the 10,000 grit polish! I didn't even get the premium kit cause that has microns...I got just the regular kit so that was co0 of him. Good stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom