CPU heatsink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATI-M

Baseband Member
I have a 2.8 celeron d, Not sure what core(btw how do I check that)

and I am getting CPU temps at around 45 C is that good enough? thats just idling though Im guessing.

but how do I check what core i have
and If I want to get a heatsink, How do I know which one's I can get?

I mean Im looking on newegg.com and it's like for socket 478 3.2ghz+

and people in the reviews saying their putting them on their 2.8 celerons, If it says 3.2 ghz+ does that mean it can be used on one's that are lower?

u must buy a heatsink specifically 4 the cpu... ie socket 754 will not work on the A socket cpu and visa versa... and 45 degrees is decent...its right in the middle of what it should be running at, if ur overclocking it thats extremely cool w/o many fans or water cooling lol

but how do I know what CPU fan to buy, on new egg it'll be like socket 478 3.2 ghz+ I understand the sockets and stuff but what does 3.2ghz+ mean, does it mean it'll run any processors that are intel UP to 3.2, or only proceesors 3.2 and up?

are u talking about the fan itself?? or the heatsink? bcuz when u buy the heatsink it must be for the SOCKET TYPE, doesnt matter the cpu speed just look at socket type, some heatsinks come with fans already on them, if not look for the fan size it supports, most will be either 80 or 90MM but ive seen some that take 120MM but i cant amagine the sound that would come off that thing lol

No like here look at this, random example I found

Compatibility: Intel Pentium-4 Socket 478 3.4GHz and Beyond
Dimensions: Fan: 70 x 70 x 15mm, Heatsink: 88 x 68 x 43mm
Bearing Type: Ball Bearing
Nominal Speed(RPM): 4500+/-10%
Max Air Flow(CFM): 37.1
Max Pressure: 36.3 mmH2O
Heat Sink Material: Copper and Aluminum Alloy 6063-T5
Rated Voltage: 12V
Connector: 3 Pin Molex 2695
Noise(dBA): 39.4
Features: Thermal Compound/or T725 Phase Change of "Chomerics", High forced stainless steel clips flip on two-sided easily and firmly

OK the compatiblilty is socket 478 aight so that works, but it also says 3.4ghz and beyond
WHAT does that mean, the 3.4 ghz and beyond

i have a 2.8 Celeron D(not sure what core, how do you check core?)
so will it work with mine for example, cause it says 3.4 ghz and beyond?

u can check the core by either google search or look on newegg 4 ur processor and it will tell u under specs, and i assume the 3.4 and highers means its cooling capabilities, that it can cool 3.4 and beyond, i dunno its sounds weird tho doesnt it?

Ok here's what it means. Since you know what the sockets mean there's no need to discuss that anymore. What it means when it says up to 3.4GHz it's talking about mainly because the faster the chip the hotter it's going to run so therefore it's basically letting you know the quality of heatsink and/or the fact that it could be once getting past 3.4GHz it's no longer the same socket.

You want to look for a heatsink that's solid copper and possibly with heat piping but, that's like the top quality heatsinks currently. Also you want a fan with a lot of CFM but a low level of decibals unless you really don't care about noise.

You can use the program CPU-Z and it can tell you the core of your chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom